Pacifier and baby foods?

I went to a memorial over the weekend and at the reception this woman was spoon feeding her baby and she kept popping the paci back in between bites. I was just totally confused as to why she was doing this... anyone ever do that before or have a guess why someone would?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've seen it done... I didn't do it. But I think it's A.) to help keep the mess down (if there is a paci in the way, they can't spit out the food) and B.) to keep them from fussing between bites and bugging others...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Maybe she wanted him quiet between bites. My son threw fits if I didn't shovel the food in. Or, maybe he still has his tongue thrust reflex and she thinks that helps. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Some one told me once that when your trying to teach a baby to eat to use the paci (only works if baby likes the darn thing) like that because they get used to the sucking motion so it would help get the food off the spoon...something like that...ive also been told to dip the paci in apple sauce to try to get a baby to take it...but WHO KNOWS my son never liked em thankfuly...people do interesting things with kids!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• The baby may have some kind of disability.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Wow, never seen or heard this. But my second son sticks his fingers and fist in his mouth when he is eating something he likes. We are just finishing the veggies, so it was a weird indicator for me that he liked a new food being introduced or didn't care for it. But anyways, never heard of this.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yeah it could be to help the baby swollow. I know our 6mo. old won't eat any baby food yet see just spits it out, I might have to try the paci thing!!!! LOL
    JFelshaw

Answer by JFelshaw at 11:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2010