Imaginary friend...

My 4 y/o has had an imaginary friend now for about a year. He appeared right around the time his brother was born. Now, he's moved in with us and I hear my son talking to him... what is "normal" as far as this goes? When should I start to worry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is nearly six and he doesn't just have an imaginary "friend", he has an imaginary "hat". It's kind of this humanoid thing he's created, now there's even a Mrs. Hat....it started around 4 too. I think it's pretty normal...but then again my son thinks he's a superhero so maybe I'm not the best judge or "normal"
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My dd has one...started right before she turned four. His name is Mikey and he is the one she blames everything on when she gets in touble...Mikey gets sent home alot!! Not sure what to tell you.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My daughter will be 4 in two weeks and she has had an imaginary friend for just over a year. Well, actually she has many imaginary friends, and most of them change from day to day.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 9:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Don't worry, it is normal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• When it runs his life and the imginary friend becomes dangerous then it's not normal. until then it's fine and normal try to video tape him ..... When he grows up it wll be too cute !
    abbyg

Answer by abbyg at 10:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2010