How much do you spend per week on groceries?

What's your family size and what do you normally buy? Just curious. My grocery bill went up from $150 a week to $225 a week just in these past couple months. Part of it is because of my special diet (low fat, low sodium), and part of it because my boys are 11 and 13 and DD who is 5 is always going through growth spurts eating off and on through the day. We normally buy organic or locally grown produce, organic milk (or at least milk with no hormones and antibiotics), natural or organic free range meats, breads with no HFCS, and that also includes my household cleaners/paper products/pet products. Just curious to compare my spending to others. Oh and I do cook all our meals at home with very very little processed foods, and I make most of their snacks and desserts homemade too.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 8:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We spend about $600 a month (shop every 2 weeks) for hubby and I and our 2 sons who are 18 and 19. That doesn't included anything except food. We buy organic as well and we don't buy canned food, frozen food, junk food, soda or pre-packaged foods. We shop at a local Farmer's Market for most things. We don't use coupons for anything food related because of where we shop, the things we buy don't have coupons in the Sunday paper. We do use coupons for bath products, cleaning supplies, etc., though.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Roughly 100 to 150 a week. We don't buy organic. Did our research on that and we just don't buy in to that.
    The extra 50 would come usually when our daughter needs more formula.
    We get fresh fruits and veggies, meats, and some pastas. Water, milk, bread and little gerber snack for our daughter. NEVER any junk food.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Depends on what the pay period is like and how tight i HAVE to be....i have made it work on 45 bucks before..but have been known to blow through 150 when i have it.....sooo i guess it varies on my budget!
    Anonymous

• I use alot of coupons and only buy what is on sale. I try to buy healthy things, always bananas, apples, oatmeal.. I spend about $80 a trip I maybe go shopping every few weeks.
    My secret to that is I stock up, like for example last week caned vegs were on sale $9.99 for a case
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have when I write and it erases it.. damn it! I am not typing it again.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• 4 adults and 3 tweens, I am limited to $240 a month which is $60 a week. That buys food, household & personal care items, pet food for 3 dogs and 3 cats, and paper products. We make it work by adding two huge gardens every summer, raising poultry for our freezer, shopping discount and bulk food stores, meal planning, and cooking from scratch as much as possible. I stick to the perimeter of the grocery store as much as possible. We do eat very well. Honestly, there are times that I wonder, myself, how we do it.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I get roughly $600/ month, which rounds off to about $150/week ... I'm a full-time student, my husband is the stay-at-home-parent & we home school our kids too... & we have 3 kids, two healthy boys & a (disabled) daughter ... ages 4 (boy), 3 (girl) & 2 (boy)....DH & I are both 24 ... we try to clip Sunday coupons as best & often as we can & save not only on food but also on household item ... we try to buy specials ... like at HEB (a local grocery store here) you can buy one thing & get 7 or 8 other things free :)
    mom-to-3-kids

Answer by mom-to-3-kids at 10:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• For my family of 4 which is my DH and myself, a 17 yr old and 10 yr old, I spend about $50/week. I also am on a low-fat diet and cook meals every night but I am a very budget shopper. I only buy what we need to cook meals and very few snacks, extras. I also shop at a discount grocery store but I do not buy organic like you do which I know is more expensive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• There are three of us, plus the occasional extra teen; we spend $60-80 a week. We eat mostly organic, whole foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2010