Pagans/wiccans. Does a full moon induce labor? (im wiccan)

My friend who is Pagan told me about this today but dont know if its true or not. that the moon does a pull or something? Does anyone have any websites/articles of this so i can read up on it? thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not sure...however, I have heard that said as an old wives tale by, many, many people. Even non-Pagans. And I have seen women go into labor during one.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I went into labor *literally* the night of a full moon, but you could barely see it behind the thunder clouds and tornados. *DDs middle name is Maura WYNTER* lol. its an old wives tale, but hey, it might be true!
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 9:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My OB, a Catholic, said that a full moon can absolutely effect the onset of labor if the body is ready.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Google "Does the moon affect tides". The moon does exert a gravitational pull on the earth that can affect things like the ocean tide, etc. The myth, or old wives tale follows that since our bodies are 70% water it also affects us. A pregnant woman has a sac full of amniotic fluid in addition to her natural 70%. thus the gravitational pull from the moon causes an increase of pressure in the womb which may cause the sac to burst thereby leading to inducing labor. In those who are not close to their due date the tale goes to say that it can cause an increase in Braxton Hicks contractions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• it does and it has nothing to do with religion but more of science
    Anonymous

• It's not just a pagan/wiccan thing, it's an old wives tale.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You can say it's an old wives tale all you want, but my SIL, a nurse at a hopsital in LA, says it is a fact that Labor and Delivery gets busier on the nights when the moon is full. Some truth to that old tale there. LOL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• A lot of women go into labor on or near a full moon due to the atmospheric pressure changing. Just like some women go into labor after flying in an airplane.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Sounds like good urban-legend stuff but not very good medicine or science.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• The labor and delivery nurses around here would agree with 2autisticsmom; they told me they're busier on full moons.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010