Do I seriously need an OB?

Ok, with DD, after a horrendous expirience with an OB in my area *theres only ONE, and hes 20 min away, the rest are an HOUR away* I went a solid 4 months with ZERO ob care. At 7 months i went to a local family planning clinic *and paid for the care, thank you very much* and later went to a hospital and delivered a PERFECTLY healthy DD with ZERO complications. So, do i HONEST to god need prenatal care? I hated the internal exams but i do think maternity care is needed after 7-8 months and in the very beginning but the 2nd trimester? if your well-informed and are healthy you wouldnt need it.
Your opinions?

shortycmlb

Asked by shortycmlb at 9:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Stay informed. Check your blood pressure, keep an eye on your weight every few weeks. Watch out for swelling. If you start to sweel, or BP gets high, make an appointment. I would have an appouintment just to get to know a dr though. Just in case you do have a problem they have a chart on you, God forbid you have to go to the ER for something. Is a midwife an option? A lot less invasive. Good luck to you. I m a firm believer that women need to trust their bodies above all else, but don't be so confident that you ignore a problem if one arrises. Good luck!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yes you need an OB or maybe try to find a midwife in your area. You never know when complications may arise.
    Anonymous

• You don't actually need an OB doc. But I would recommend getting the exams when you start your second trimester. Actually when I had my 3rd son the OB couldn't fit me in until I was 16 wks. However I had had 2 previous births with no complications (except for persistent "morning sickness").
    On a final note the only reason you "need" on actual OB is if you plan on getting your tubes tied or if you are know to have difficult pregnancies.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 9:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Just go with a good all around family doc if you are against the ob available.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 9:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You can use an hour away OB, I did. You can also opt for no internal exams. They are uneccessary anyway. You do need at least someone just in case. Try to find another OB or Midwife.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• i think it's good to be monitored by someone professional (a dr. or midwife). when i got my pre-eclampsia things went down-hill really fast so i was glad i was being monitored. and plus the baby can die inside of you but your body won't necessairly abort it right away, so that could also kill you. regularly being monitored would catch a situation like that before you die (although it may be too late for the baby, depending on what made them die in the first place).

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• i hate going to the ob!!! they treat every one like they are that 1 or 2 % that has really bad complications. you shouldn't get pre eclampsia if you are eating properly,likewise with gestational diabetes. you can get your own blood pressure cuff, or go to the drugstore regularly. you can check yourself for swelling, you can get your own pea sticks and pea on them yourself. i hate internal exams too! you can turn them down, but the dr's don't make it easy!
    on the other hand...i love my prenatal care with my midwives.they actually talk with you about your life and your family...they actually feel your baby. they actually care about you and your baby. i feel as if ob's really don't respect a woman, let alone trust a woman to carry and deliver.
    whew! what a rant! sorry!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Each pregnancy and delivery is different. While you may not need a Dr for the first, you could have problems with the next baby. You don't have to have an OB, per say. You can see a regular Dr or a midwife. I could have seen a regular Dr down the street from my house, but I saw an OB and they were and hour away because my insurance covered it and I liked the OB better. My first pregnancy and delivery was a nightmare, the 2nd was easy. If I have another, who knows how it will go? I think I'll stick with my OB.
    Anonymous

• I have used a family practice doctor for all three of my babies. Granted I did not have any complications, but they did just fine. And they were always willing to refer me to an OB if things started to go wrong.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Clearly, I am biased. My Dad is a retired OB and just last night we were talking about a Kaiser family practice doc that did OB for a woman and made an obvious mistake and the baby died. I guess, I would never take the chance. My father said to this day, it has bothered this family doc (they fish together). I'd go to the OB an hour away.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2010