nice house, bad location...

We have been looking for a house to buy...we found a couple, got our hopes up, and then ended up losing out ( other people beat us with one and then the other decided not to sell afterall).

So now we have found a beautiful house with a big beautiful yard and a beautiful prince ! ( our mortage payment would be almost $300 less than what we are paying now for rent)...the problem is... the house is located in like an alley type deal, behind the "trashy street" ( we live in a small town and basically if you say you live on this street everyone assumes you do drugs/ have piles of trash in your yard....which basically every house does, and then off to the side of it ( hidden by a few trees) is the "ghetto apts" ...where cops are always called for drug busts) ..... when your in the house and yard yoru not aware of the surroundings because it is so pretty and nice but I *continued*

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 9:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i don't need to wait for the cont'd lol. real estate is all about location location location. so unless you're planning on becoming a slum lord and turning it into a crack house i would stay far away from there.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• am worried because I do know what is beyond the pretty picket fence and nice landscaping... I just wonder if I am able to lose the house I love, because of where it is...if it would even be worth it or if I am worried about nothing
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 9:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. We thought we were far enough away from the bad part of town when we bought, turns out we're not.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RESELL....BUT IF YOU LOVE THIS PLACE I WOULD PUT UP A FENCE, SOME PAMPAS GRASS AND GET A HOME SECURITY SYSTEM!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• lol I just realized I put prince, not price lol ( I am a bad typer so I am sure there is many more of those in there lol)
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 9:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I would not buy it. You will never be able to let your kids out to play without worrying that something bad will happen. Also when you go to sell, the perspective buyers will be wary too. My parents are going through trying to sell their house, which is a lot like the one you describe and it is not looking good for them. Look for a fixer upper in a nicer neighborhood.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• 3 most important things in real estate......... location, location, location
    Anonymous

• DONT BUY. Its tempting b/c the home is nice...but in the long run..you will regret it.

My dad is in real estate. The best rule of thumb for buying property is to "buy the WORST house on the street and turn it into the best" dont buy the "best house on the street b/c you will loose your investment"

DONT BUY!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Don't buy it. It's all about location, like others said.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I agree with all the others, location is everything when buying a house. Why? If a house is in a great location, the value will not go down very much because people will always want to live in the neighborhood. You don't want to fear for your safety and it is never a good idea to buy the 'best house on the block.' You want the worst house on the best block, if that is an option.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2010