My son fell and hit his head?

My son is 15 months and tonight (about 3 hours ago) he was crawling backwards down some steps and when he got to the second to last step he decided to turn around and when he tried to step down the steps facing forward he tripped and fell and didn't immediately fall down both but fell to the bottom step but then his weigh pushed him down and he hit his forehead on the cement. He started crying for a minute, but then he has acted fine since then and doesn't seem out of sorts. I am just still worried about a concussion or something. He has a real good size bump on his head and a couple cut marks to go with it. He is currently sleeping, am I overreacting about this? I just feel very worried about this and we do have a doctors appointment tomorrow at 10 am (its not because of his head, just a well-child visit). is there any reason to worry now? Anyone been through this before?

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 9:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh gosh, my son's head has always been in the 90-100th percentile while the rest of him was more like 50th so hitting his head has been a normal part of our life!! When he was your son's age he would stop too quick and just fall over-LOL. I was so relieved when he finally evened out, he always had some type of bump or bruise.

Anyway, the biggest things to watch for would be vomiting, lethargy, irritability and generally acting "not right". If you see anything that concerns you, don't hesitate to take him in.
    jmsmrs

Answer by jmsmrs at 9:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• As long as he was acting fine and normal after the fall, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• Poor baby! I have always heard that the bad hits in the head are the ones in the back of the head, not the front.

Answer by older at 9:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• well not to scare yoou at all but after a head bump you need to really have it checked if you are worried. if he was acting ok he is prolly fine, but they say to try to keep them up for a few hours afterwards. just check on him.and if still worried call his doc at home-thats their job.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Bearsjen, he was awake for 2 1/2 hours after he fell, and he didn't act any different, not sleepy or anything.
    Ctepanee

Answer by Ctepanee at 9:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't be too worried. Kids fall and hit their heads all the time. My son jumped off a chair onto a bed and stumbled across the bed and hit his head on the wall. He had a huge bump. He was trying to do it again just 5 minutes later. Tell the doctor about the fall tomorrow.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• JAIRATRACI - I know how it goes! My son fell, cried for maybe a minute, then wanted down and went right back to the steps! Wanted to walk up/down them!
    Ctepanee

Answer by Ctepanee at 10:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2010