Is there only one way to interpret the bible?

Can a pagan interpret the bible differently than a Christian and still be correct in her interpretation? Can two Christians read a passage and think differently?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes there is, hence all the different versions and religions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• i vote yes
    Anonymous

• If there were only one way to interpret the Bible there wouldn't be so many different denominations of Christianity.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yes.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I think ANYONE can interrpret the bible, and it be correct. No one has the manuscript of "correct" intrepretation of those words. Thats the problem with any written word....every person who reads it is open to their own interpretation of it. No one is wrong, and no is correct when the author is no where to clarify it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• If you think about it, anything that is written down will be interpreted differently by different people (just look at the CM Q & A section to confirm that). The Bible is no different.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• If everyone interpreted it the same, then the various religious sects all competing for the role to 'true christianity' would not exist.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I believe that the Bible interprets itself, so rather then putting my ideas in place I love looking to the Bible because it's God's word and He set it so it's self explanatory if we peer into it. God’s written Word also helped to reveal his will and purpose to Daniel, for example, discerned from Jeremiah’s writings how long Jerusalem would remain desolate. (Jeremiah 25:11; Daniel 9:2)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yes there is very many ways to interpret every thing. Every one has a different perception of words.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• thanks ladies. I saw a person get called ignorant for their understanding of the bible I was just wondering if the mom was super mean. It seems as if that mom agrees you can interpret the bible differently. She just likes to call others names and put them down.
    Anonymous