Scrambled eggs and Saltine Crackers..good for the bad times but bad for the good times? lol

I was talking with my mom the other morning about how I miss the way my grandma (my moms mom) made scrambled eggs with broken up saltine crackers. I've tried making it but noone else likes it. We used to eat it all the time. We both loved it.
Well, she told me that the reason they made them like that was because they were so poor and its something they learned during the Great Depression. They made what they could with what they had.
Well, I liked it.
But making it today..my kids don't like it, my SO doesnt like it...if we were to go through another Great Depression, they would starve to death because they wouldn't know how to eat with what we had,lol.
DO you remember something you ate as a kid that you liked but noone likes now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• omg, my grandma used to make that too! i like scrapple but my hubby and kids don't. i guess it's a south jersey thing :p
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• really? I thought we were the only ones,lol
    Anonymous

• We went to my uncles house in texas and he tried to make us "poke salad". It's a poisonous weed found in the yard. You have to boil it, drain the water, boil it, drain the water, and repeat all day to get the poison out. And it smells like crap. I guess you eat it like cooked spinach. It was our last night there so we begged and pleaded with him, telling him we really wanted to treat them to a dinner at a nice restaurant. Finally he gave in and we went out to eat. I don't think I could have even tried it without yacking.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My husband makes something similiar with eggs and matzo crackers. he and our sons eat it with syrup. We're Jewish and it's a common breakfast dish.
    Anonymous

• Ramen noodles, saltines with butter, fresh (unpasteurized) cow's milk (we had a cow), mush, and baked potatoes. We ate a lot of potatoes, especially baked, because we grew them and they were cheap.
    Anonymous

• LOL@ poke salad...I would have been AFRAID to eat that! lol Glad you guys convinced him to go out to eat,lol.
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine spent a summer in W.Virginia with her grandmother once when she was a teen. They were extremely poor and the entire summer all she got to drink was well water and eat canned green beans! TO this day, she will not eat a green bean,lol.
    Anonymous

• I remember my friends grandma made egg soup every morning when I went on vacation with the family .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• DH AND HIS MOM EAT CRACKERS WITH SUGAR IN MILK LIKE CEREAL ...TO ME ITS NASTY BUT THEY LOVE IT! WE EAT THISTLE(WE CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE BUT I COULDN'T SPELL IT FOR A MILLION DOLLARS LOL) ITS LITERALLY A PLANT WITH PLENTY OF PRICKERS AND YOU HAVE TO CUT THEM ALL OF FOR THE STALK ....LOOKS LIKE CELERY WHEN YOUR DONE...TASTE LIKE CELERY/CUCUMBER!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• yes, matzo brei (that's matzo and eggs, so good) and my grandma made something called farfel pudding, very similar but with a lot of chicken broth, mushrooms, celery. i just made it tonight for passover.

you know what else I loved, total comfort food, apple sauce and cottage cheese with a little cinnamon. omg so good.
    madfoot

Answer by madfoot at 12:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2010