Autism

As an infant my daughter cried 24/7 without noticable reason. She is 4 now. She licks everything often repeats things puts her clothes and shoes on backwards, talks to herself plays by herself for hoursand has these violent tantrums where she wishes me my husband or her siblings death. Does it sound like autism. I am going the dr next month for her 4 yr old check up. I am going to talk 2 him about this just wanted some insight from you all thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Health

• It does to a point. How's her joint attention?? If you point out the window and say Look at the ------. Will she look?? The death threats and violent outbursts seem more bi polar to me, but I really wouldn't know. My kids with autism don't get violent without a trigger which we usually avoid.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yeah if i asked her to look at a bird out of the window she would look but say she couldnt find it even if its extrmely noticable. she takes all of her toys and lines them up by the windows and doors everyday. her violent death threats are triggered with not getting her way. Thanks for the 411 :)
    Anonymous

• anon my dd is 4 and autistic...she is very docile and loving. She wouldnt have the vocabulary to say those things to us...she has a language delay.

Some of the things that you mention sound like autism. I agree with 2autisticsmom...the violent outbursts may be some other disorder.

I have seen autistic children have tantrums but they are more emotional not aggressive.

Of course EVERY autistic child is different.
    Anonymous

• You know...I cant really say...but what i do think is interesting is that at first I thought to myself...well this seems normal because my daughter does these kinds of things too...but then I realized that my daughter is also 2 years younger than yours. I would definently bring it up to the doctor though...she may just be a little delayed in some area's. All children do take time to learn things at their own pace. How long has this been going on?
    sm_fuller

Answer by sm_fuller at 9:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• She has been acting like this sense she was 2 and she is 4 now. but the first 2 yrs of her life all she did was cry it was awfull.
    Anonymous

• My dd is autistic and adhd ....so they can have more than one disorder.

She needs to be evaluated to have a real diagnosis..but it sounds like autism and maybe bi-polar. Not sure. Ask the Dr to send her for an evaluation...she needs some therapy.

Most states offer some free therapy so dont be worried...you might be surprised at what is offered!
    Anonymous

• My daughter also cried all the time as a baby and had horrible temper tantrums as a toddler. She is 8 now and has PDD NOS. She has trouble with transitions, keeping friends, attention, and has sensory issues. She was not diagnosed until 6 because she has sensory issues and behavior issues. As they get older it is easier to tell.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 10:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Talk to a professional....by this age she could be in an early intervention program for years already!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2010