Teen Kills Self Over Bullying: Other Teens Being Charged. What Can Be Done So Schools Take it Seriously?

I'm horrified by this girl's death. Worse that some kids and two faculty members tried to bring it to the attention of administrators who didn't act. Did you hear about this? I see moms ask on CM about it here and have always worried for them. The bullying needs to be taken seriously.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100329/US.School.Bullying/

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 9:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I hold the school and the parents of these pathetic thugs personally responsible for the death of this child. It turns my stomach that this sort of thing is allowed to go on. I for one would have a least pulled my child out of that environment as soon as I got wind of what was going on, especially after learning that the school did nothing to stop it. My heart bleeds for her family!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• there has always been bullying and probably always will be

( not saying I dont think it should be stopped)
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My daughters school had a zero tolerance policy. But when you would bring it to their attention they would make some excuse. I think the staff was too scared of the bully's to act on it.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• The problem is that once the bullying starts it is already too late! The schools can and should address bullying, but they can't stop it any more than any of us can stop it. Bullying can be subtle...it can be pervasive....it can be hard to detect while actually making the victim completely miserable. It is a human problem.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Oh, and if my child ever came home from school with a note that he/she was a bully or being purposely cruel to another student I would kick their asses from here to next Easter!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2010