needed: sleeptime routine

Ok well I have trouble trying to rock my kid to sleep. whats a good tequnique besides this for a bedtime routine? My normal routine is feeding her something so that she is not hungry, bathing her and lotion and stuff, and then we rock and listen to music with a bottle to go to sleep. been doing it since she was born and im ready to change it up. I didnt know that a bottle at bed time was bad or a bad habbit. it annoys the crap out of me now when it used to be cute :( help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well i do bath, snack, read a story in my lap, sing song, say prayers and talk about what he's gonna dream about and what we're gonna do tomorrow. then i put him in bed and give him kisses, etc. he has a crib soother i put on the bed so he likes to look and listen to that until he falls asleep. just keep in mind it will take a while to adjust to a new routine so don't give up lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• This is what works for my dd. We started at about a year old. Bathe, story, lay her in crib and listen to lullabies until she falls asleep. Its the same lulliby ever nap and sleep time because its on our nursery walkie. At first laying her in a crib and walking out meant she would cry for about 10 minutes. But now she just lays down and is out pretty quickly.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Just switch to a sippy-cup with water.

You can also start setting a specific amount of time for rocking your kid (or a certain number of songs, or a short story), and then put your kid in their crib or bed, even if they're awake.
    Anonymous

• I always rock my daughter to sleep, even though she is capable of faslling asleep on her own. There are nights when I put her to bed fully awake, and she will fall asleep on her own. But I figure this: soon she will be too old for mommy to rock her, so I'm enjoying this time I have to do so!

My daughter does bath, then lotion and pj's, then she plays in her crib for 10-15 minutes while I clean up from the bath. She then is wrapped in her blanky, given a bottle, then I rock her for 15 minutes or so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It's not bad to give a bottle if you simply brush her teeth afterward.

Don't let what other people tell you is "right" and "not right" steer you away from doing something your daughter clearly enjoys and is not hurting anything. I'd keep rocking her to sleep *shrug* It's really not a BAD sleep association. I mean, does it harm you / upset you to rock her to sleep? Does she wake up all night wanting rocked to sleep? If she doesn't wake up all night wanting rocked, then what harm is it rocking her to sleep? She likes it. You liked it til someone told you that you shouldn't like it.

And is she waking up all night for her bottle? If she is, maybe switch to a sippy with water or give a bottle of water (I assume she's 20 months or older? Before that I would still feed in the night and then brush the teeth after). but if she's not waking all night, what's the harm?

A sleep association can actually be beneficial.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I don't understand parents need to take the baby away from the mother so quickly. In other societies the children usually sleep with their mothers until puberty usually. Talk about a sleep association ;) Are those kids overly dependent on their parents? Not generally!

I think that people try to force babies to grow up before they are ready. You'll know she's too old for rocking when she is like "MOMMY I don't want rocked! I'm a big girl!" And she -will- say it eventually (usually around 2 - 4). Let her pull away from -you-, don't you pull away from -her-.. It fosters MORE independence and self-reliance when children come to their own conclusions about wanting to be self-reliant and wanting to do things the "big kid" way!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• When you do eventually need to take the bottle away, introducing a lovey can be of great benefit. A teddy bear or blankie that you introduce now! Incorporate it into your rocking time.. Tell her it's there to protect her and loves her. Start incorporating a particular song or book (make sure it is one you like!) into your night-time routine too. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Mar. 30, 2010