How can I get my 2 year old to take a bath??

My son used to LOVE bathing, than one day - POOF. It is almost unbearable to bath him. He screams so much he makes himself throw up and he makes it so bad that he gives himself hives. I have tried toys, coloring on the walls, treats, movies, est. I have bribbed my 2 year old... PLEASE HELP!!!

RyansMom0604

Asked by RyansMom0604 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him a shower instead. My dd went through the same thing becasue she was afraid of the water. I put her in the shower and she is much better. She still hates to have her hair washed becasue the water gets into her eyes, but I gave her a wash cloth and that solved the problem.

Does he hate to swim too?
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 10:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• get in with him. try the shower.
    Anonymous

• i would ask him why he doesnt want a bath. sometimes there is a reason.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was scared of water, she screamed like it was battery acid. I had to take baths with her on my lap. (I wore undies and a tank top) Then I got one of those water nozzles that hooks up to the faucet and would let her play with it so I could wash her off. Eventually she went from my lap, to sitting in front of me, to me on the side with my feet in, and now she spends 2 hours playing and I can't get her out.
    Anonymous

• My daughter went through that a few months ago. I had to shower with her for a while. Then I started stopping the tub up while we showered, and she would play in the bath that formed. Eventually she wanted to stay in after I was done showering. Now she'll take a bath again.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I agree with trying to give him a shower.. That might help.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have tried showers and we ask why he doesn't like it, he says 'it's dirty'. LOL I'm not going to lie, I'm a plus size woman and we don't have a big tub, or bathroom, but I have gotten in with him with my bathing suit on. He loves to swim, and we even made it a 'pool'.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will keep on trying! :)
    RyansMom0604

Answer by RyansMom0604 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Hmmm. Check into sensory integration issues. He probably feels comfortable being dirty. Tell him, "I know you don't like baths. But you have to be clean to prevent from getting sick. So, instead of making it hard on you we will go quick...wash and get out." Seriously, it may be something he cannot stand, like fingernails on a chalkboard. You will have to appeal to his sense of reason and if he is really bright, which probably he is, then you will be able to work this out. Make a schedule for him. Every M, W, F, Sa bath.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Give him a sponge bath when needed. Then during the day, let him play with water in the tub (just enough water to float some bath toys), so get him used to being in the tub.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My trick was one day poof hated the bath, so I took a bath, bubbles, toys and all, and let him wash my arms and dump water over my head, i hammed it up played with his toys splashed made a big deal about mommy getting clean in the bubble, after a few times he crawled in with me and wanted me out....even to this day sometimes he will tell me he wants a bubble then other days he screams bloody murder the whole time, kids aref unny little creatures....just keep trying, even through the screaming just repeat you have too get clean...it will get better with time
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 1:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2010