What will the sentance be? What should it be?

– A Tennessee man authorities say is a white supremacist has pleaded guilty to plotting to kill then-presidential candidate Barack Obama and dozens of other black people in 2008.

Twenty-one-year-old Daniel Cowart of Bells, Tenn., pleaded guilty Monday to eight of 10 counts in an indictment accusing him of conspiracy, threatening a presidential candidate and various federal firearms violations. Under a plea agreement, he faces 12 to 18 years in prison, but a federal judge could choose a longer sentence.

Co-defendant, 19-year-old Paul Schlesselman of Helena-West Helena, Ark., pleaded guilty in January and will be sentenced April 15.

Authorities have described the two as skinheads who planned a cross-country robbing and killing spree that would end with an attack on Obama.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• life without payroll..  Solitary confinement.. IMO, if they got out, they would only continue their despicable behavior and possibly have built their group membership up in jail. They shouldn't be allowed to socialize with anyone.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• grly do you mean parole?? LOL...

I agree with the solitary. they will have "friends" in the joint

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• life without payroll..

Lol, I'm pretty sure it's an error, but it made me giggle. As for the OP, I guess we can only hope that 15 or so years is enough to teach these idiots something, because if not, they'll only start up again once they're out.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• LOL grly thanks for the un-intended humor.I agree life.. no parole.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Since it was in the plotting stage (according to the c&p), it wouldn't be considered treason so I would think death would be off the table. I would think the crime would be sedition and I have no idea what sort of sentence would be given for that. I would hope that the judge would give a more harsh sentence than the minimum for taking a plea.

Anonymous

• Agreed. Life w/o parole. And no payroll either. LOL. JK

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Lol... sorry.. writing about 45 pages tonight.... :o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yeah, He deserves life no parole. BUT in reality from what I have read he didn't have any previous felonies. So he will probably get his max of 18 years spend total of 12 then onto parole. He will make even more racist ignorant friends / connections in prison and continue on being the hateful racist he is. Kinda makes me think of American History X..... except this arsehole won't change his life around for the better.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I don't agree with life without parole. Too many prisoners have connections on the outside who will do what they tell them to do from inside. The only way to stop this is a quick death. Of course they won't get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I am not a fan of Obama. BUT - he is the elected President, and even before he was elected, he was a politician running for the office, and serving as a Congressman. And, even more important than that, he is a human.

I hope that they persecute the people involved in this plot to the fullest extent they can. They need to NAIL both of them!!!!!!

Oh, and I do NOT want them sentenced to death row, btw. Because that means they get their own prison cell. I'm thinking life, so that way, they get to be in with general population, and they can have a "room mate"....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2010