What can I give my 2yo for a cough??

My 2yo little girl has has a nasty cough for the past 2 days and i am trying to avoid taking her to her pediatrician if at all possible. He just keeps prescribing her antibiotics that don't help anymore. She doesn't have a fever but she does have a runny nose. The coughing is worse when she is asleep. I know that they say not to give kids under 4 any over the counter cough syrups anymore so I just thought I would ask other mothers. Thanks in advance!

Kathryn28

Asked by Kathryn28 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tylonol... they have some for young kiddos... good luck it works for our little man
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 10:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• This is what I give my toddler: http://www.boironusa.com/products.aspx?prodid=16

cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 10:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I gave my son delsum when he had a really bad cough. Yeah I'll get slack for it off here, kiss my pretty little face!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 10:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• lol Thank you for all your answers. I wanted to buy her some type of children's cough syrup at CVS last night, but the pharmacist suggested I just use nasal drops for her runny nose. I don't see the harm in giving her something as long as I don't over do it. I just wanted to hear what other moms had used. :) Obviously i will taker her to the Dr's if she doesn't seem any better in another day or two, but we all know what a pain in the rear that can be! Thanks again ladies!
    Kathryn28

Answer by Kathryn28 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I use children's triaminic. I give him 1/2 teaspoon.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Seriously Jacksonsmommy ? you're going to give a child PAIN medication for a cough? Really?
    Why does everyone suggest Tylonal for everything on this forum?

Anyway. Get a Humidifier to bring moisture back into the air. That will help keep the airways moist, so that they're not coughing all through the night. You can also sit in a bathroom with the hot shower running. Let the steam fill the room. That will help clear the airways and break up anything that's causing congestion. Vick's Vapour Rub on the chest or feet (Yes, it really works. I've tested it) before bed especially. That will help clear the airways and keep them clear. The also have Vicks packets for the humidifiers as well. Keep him hydrated and warm, but not hot. Maybe even prop his head up at night to keep fluids from pooling and causing congestion. They do have runny nose meds for kids 2 and under at kroger. Give them that for his nose.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Cool mist humidifier at bedtime, a few minutes in a steamy bathroom before bed, and a saline nasal spray several times a day - - you want to get rig of the congestion that is causing the cough, which is why the pharm. steered you away from the meds that just "treat" the cough :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• honey!
    p.b.

Answer by p.b. at 12:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• An allergy med might help... sounds weird maybe but it does help, especially if she has a lot of drainaige. You mentioned the runny nose, an allergy med will help dry some of that up and should help with the cough because of it. Also, vicks babyrub helps sometimes. I was told by my son's pediatritian that honey helps too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• my pharm said that benadryl has a cough suppressant and give her like 1/2 tsp, i only gave at night because it will make her groggy, but it helps stop the cough so the little one can get some rest
    stacy1403

Answer by stacy1403 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2010