2 yo sleep issues

My daughter who is 2 1/2, has been in her own toddler bed for the last year. Never any problems. Good routine, bath, story bed. Slept all night in her own bed. Untill a month ago. She was in the hospital, ICU for a few days, and all together for a week. I slept with her in her hospital bed. Now she will not sleep in her own bed, and if she does she is in our room every 1-2 hours. She acts terrified. Now I know I am going to get a lot of "just let her cry it out, who is the parent here?" responses, but I am telling you now, that isnt going to happen. She has a heart condition, and can not raise her heart rate, so the letting her cry will not work. Any other suggestions?

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 10:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sleep with her for a while. Not only she is terrified from the hospital experience, but this age is very difficult otherwise too, and I noticed as well in my 2 1/2 year old that things that we took for granted now became an issue.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 10:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• We have been trying that. But I also share the bed with my 9 month old who is still nursing. It is becoming really crowded with everyone in there, lol. And very akward as I have to be inbetween them to keep them from waking each other up and to keep my oldest from rolling over on the baby. My main (very selfish) reason, is I am having back problems from the position I am sleeping in trying to make both the kids comfy in there with me. That and it would be nice to cuddle with my husband again ;) I just want to find a way to make the transition smooth. I dont want to traumatize her any more form the hospital stay. Her comfort level takes priority in this too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Can you put her toddler bed next to your bed? Would that work for her? I also have a 2 y old and a 9 month old. Our bedroom gets a makeover about once a month. Right now we have two queen beds side by side, a crib on one side and a toddler bed on the other side. I use the crib for daytime naps, I use the toddler bed for night time for the toddler. Sometimes we all end up sleeping in the two queen beds, we rarely sleep in the same positions two nights in a row. Never a dull night. (we also have an air mattress ready for use in the closet for other business).
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 11:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2010