How do you prevent becoming overwhelmed? How do you slow down?

I'm sorry, this is really just a rant.
I have a 19 month old son. When he was about 3 months old I started taking classes through an online campus. I then ended up volunteering with a local organization as the volunteer coordinator, subsequently joining the Board of Directors. I started working at a financial company as a part time assistant, eventually moving to full time. I was hired by the president of the board of the community organization I volunteer with. My goal is to run a non-profit. The only thing that doesn't fit here is school. The nonprofit furthers my career. The job is a definite opportunity to move forward. But, I'm in a major that I hate. But right now I'm only working part time, so i can't afford to pay back student loans- was trying to put them off by continuing school until my income was higher. But I can't balance it all. What would you do? I'm happy in every aspect of my life except school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• OP again-
    Most people are telling me to drop the non-profit, but unlike school, it offers networking, contacts, development of skills, a built-in resume. The job could potentially lead to a salaried position paying higher than teachers, which is my major. I can change my major once I have my core classes, and I plan to switch from education to business. But, as it is, I won't graduate for a few more years. I have homework every night, and I do it from the time the baby goes to bed until the time I pass out, about 2am. I'm sleep-deprived, depressed and stressed out. I know that I need to stop school, but I also know that if I do, I'll be a two-time college drop-out with thousands of student loans I'm not yet able to repay (the deal is that they begin 6 months after graduation. If you don't graduate, they begin about 30 days after you drop out.) So, would you drown in dept, or drown?
    Anonymous

• I would finish school. Can you delay some courses?
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 10:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Can you cut back on your credits and still delay the loans? I understand you are looking at serious burn out, and if you end up sick everything falls apart. I can see why people would tell you to quit working but since your goal is to run a nonprofit, I think you need the contacts.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• One, there are plenty of deferments you can get on loans after you quit school, although i wouldnt recommend them. Two, you can cut down to part time, but depending on your loan contract you may have to start back partial repayments.....or if you drop your job you can completely burn out on school and end up quitting school in the long run and be out of all options....i would honestly look at putting off school...how long will it take you to build a good resume and be able to do what you want...6-12 months is possible to get a better paying job because you would have that kind of time before you had to make payments anyway...and if you take a semester off, and go back you wont have to start paying back anyway you get a 6 month grace period!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You say you're in a major you hate...does it have anything yto do with the work you like doing? If not...change majors!

School IS important; a lot of non-profit organizations want that degree. And it's too likely that quitting would dig you in deeper. The non-profit arena is one I wouldn't choose to work in at the moment (and I'm stuck working for a non-profit radio station right now). Donations are down and the only place a non-profit can cut is payroll. Which could mean you'd be out of a job too soon, before you can set up your own organization.

Honest...I'd stick with school but try to change the major faster.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• BTW...I'm working two jobs, about 80 hours a week...seven days a week. I slow down by forcing it and never doing that which isn't vital to our survival. That means housework remains undone. I'll never make Good Housekeeping but I don't need that.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Tell the volunteer organization that you need a stipend or a scholarship or something. It doesn't have to be a real salary. If you can change your major once you get through the core stuff then you NEED to stop hating your major. Just pretend you have already switched.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I know this sounds like an easy answer but it's NOT. Make a schedule. I learned this the hard way. I have 2 little girls under the age of 2, a puppy and a home business. I recently started sticking to a schedule so biz doesnt mix into family and vice versa, this is making fo ra much happier and less tressed EVERYONE :-).

I do like 6-8 Business
    8-11 Family
    11-3 Business
    3-7 Family
    7-8 Business
    8-9 Personal ME TIME
    9-11 Business

But then I make blocks in those slots like cleaning, bearkfast, phone calls, etc.... This helped me more than I can say :-)

God Bless Girl, you can do it!!!
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 8:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2010