I'm trying to nurse my son but having a hard time producing enough milk. What should I do????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is your son? How often are you nursing? How do you know you aren't producing enough milk?
    Anonymous

• how old is your son
    drink water, try fenugreek if that doesnt help

only 2% of women dont produce enough milk on their own so sometimes its that you think you arent but you really are
    try feeding more often and eating protein...that also helps
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• WHOA!!!!! Don't listen tothe first lady.
    Why do you think you aren't producing enough? I thought the same when I had my son...I was wrong. If he gains weight and has several wet diapers a day...you are good.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Need more info to help you...how old is baby? How often are you nursing? How many wet diapers is baby having daily?
    Babies go thru growth spurts where they are contantly wanting to nurse, this triggers you to produce more milk and then he will slow down. if he is getting at least 6 wet diapers (not soaking but damp/moist) then he is getting enough. Nurse on demand, your body WILL start to produce more and DomoniqueWS is correct. Contact a good lactation consultant, most hospitals can recommend one. Check to make sure your latch is correct, nurse until baby stops then burp then switch breasts. you can do this without formula. however, if you decided to supplement, be forewarned that it will effect your milk production. BUT there is nothing wrong with formula if you choose that route. If you are determined to nurse, do not give in to "it's just 1 bottle of formula" otherwise you will start doing it more often.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• you can give 2 oz of formula AFTER he nurses if you are convinced he did not get enough. I did this with my LC's blessing and no it did NOT affect my milk production.

Join the Breastfeeding Moms group here on Cafe Mom. Moms there will talk you through this. We need to know why you think you aren't producing enough milk.

I found that only certain types of fenugreek worked. Someone gave me an organic kind and I took 3 capsules, 3 times a day and that was the only thing that worked. You have to take so much that you smell like maple syrup! Seriously, that's how you know you are taking enough!

IT's really better if you talk to a lactation consultant or find a nursing mothers' support group. Call your hospital and ask. Call your local baby stores, not Toys R Us but if there's kind of a hippie-dippie one where you can't realy afford to buy anything because it's all $50 organic onesies-bingo. they'll have a nursing moms group.
    madfoot

Answer by madfoot at 12:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yeah, I agree...do not listen to the first one, she sounds like my mom did. For some reason she hated me breastfeeding.

Just remember to relax, if you get too tensed up, even if you have enough milk, the baby won't be able to get it. I can't really add anything else that hasn't already been said....I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but if the baby is going through a growth spurt, it will take a couple of days before your milk supply can catch up. Just nurse more often and/or longer each time. Get extra sleep, that's both of you too. Lots of water and relax, relax, relax!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• OKAY.. WTH!?!?!

You women haven't even heard WHY this woman thinks she's not producing enough milk and two of you are telling her to give formula to her baby!! WTH!??! Stop that!!! And 2 oz, are you kidding madfoot? that's WAY WAY WAY more than a meal to a newborn with a tummy the size of A MARBLE, and it's an entire meal for many 4 - 5 week old babies. Are you kidding?! Grrrr. You have no business giving advice on nursing like that. You'll KILL whatever supply she does have (assuming she even HAS a supply ISSUE!!!!)

Usually, if you just nurse nurse nurse it'll all be okay. Nursing 24/7 is normal. Not pooping a ton after 3 weeks (the baby) is normal. Co-sleep and wear baby in a sling in the day. Standard advice. It'll help. ;)

6-8 wet diapers per day. If baby is producing that many, baby is fine and there is no reason to supplement or to think your supply is low.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• If you are supplementing, that is the route of your supply issue. Supplementing kills supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• ARE YOU CHANGING 6-8 DIAPERS EVERY 24 HOURS?

That is the ONLY indication fo supply. If you're changing that many your supply is PERFECT.

Please drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group for help. 99 percent of moms who think they have a supply problem actually have one of perception. Baby is SUPPOSED to nurse virtually round the clock and be a general nuisance for the first month or two. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 2:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• DO NOT listen to the fist pp, unless you plan to switch from nursing to formula. (Not slamming on that if it's what you want to do, I'm just saying that supplementing with formula is the absolute WORST thing you can do if you're having trouble establishing a milk supply!)

I agree with the other pps though - there could be a lot of things going on - if you just had your baby, it could be that you just need to give it a day or so (your baby will NOT starve - you just have to keep nursing, and your baby will get enough). Check diapers - as long as you have enough wet diapers, then your little one is getting enough. There could be an attachment problem - if your baby isn't latching on right, that could affect it. Your baby could be nursing enough, you just think they aren't. Or, if your baby is older, he/she could be getting ready to go through a growth spurt, and your milk supply needs to catch up.

hang in there :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2010