Could it be a metabolism problem or a thyroid problem or what??

For months I was having severe gallbladder attacks, but I had to wait to have it removed (until I finally had emergency removal last month). During those months I could barely eat, and when I did eat it was a low to no fat diet, which was usually expelled later when I would have an attack that triggered vomitting. My concern is, that during those months I also gained about 20 lbs! I am concerned as to why I would gain weight, especially that much, during a time when I was not getting much nutrience or calories? Would it be a metabolism or thyroid problem by chance? Or maybe something else? I have gained about 5 lbs since the surgery, but I am also trying hard to work out and lose weight as much as possible because of all this gaining. Any ideas?! I feel like it is something other than just being overweight...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Health

• I have had thyroid issues since my daughter was born almost 2 yrs ago (May) . I finally got a dr message about 3 wks ago that said it was stable but I am still taking the meds just in case. I would get tested for your thyroid because I was the same weight for almost the last 2 yrs which was more than when I had my daughter. As of today 3wks later I have lost 14lbs. It very well could be your thyroid, so it is very important to get that checked. It could make you gain or lose a significant amount of weight. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 4:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Are you the one that just posted? I have thyroid problems too...I don't know if this helps, but I am taking more thyroid then prescribed because in my case the TSH was not coming down. So doc wanted me to triple the dosage until further testing. Anyway...don't know if it helps, but make sure to get your thyroid tested again, also for diabetes.
    Anonymous

• (OP) Well I didn't post about this anywhere else, so I think you're thinking of someone else. I was tested for diabetes after my son was born in October because I had gestational. It was negative, but I'll be tested again in April just to make sure. I was just wondering because I heard with thyroid problems weight gain just happens, not because of how you eat or anything like that (which what I was eating and how I couldn't keep almost anything down there should have been weight LOSS rather than gain). I can't just keep gaining weight like this because I'm already on the heavy side, especially after having my son, but I want to have a general idea what to get tested for because I am definitely not financially able to pay for much medical stuff at all right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2010