How is it that it's legal to limit free speech to one small area

when it's Dem protesters at a Bush appearance, but it's not constitutional to tell those Phelps idiots that they can protest, just not AT A FUNERAL?

autodidact

Asked by autodidact at 11:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• According to my communications law class, legal locations of protest have to do primarily with public vs private property. They can also be legally regulated on public property to keep protesters from causing traffic issues, or safety concerns.

I don't honestly know the legal details and reasonings for the cases you're talking about though.
    Anonymous

• I don't know but the same thing has happened when it's conservatives protesting an Obama appearance

I could be wrong but I think the phelps wacko's do have to be a distance away..of course my opinion is that I wish that mess just never happened.They are disgusting and shameless for protesting funerals esp our troops..it makes me want to knock their lights out.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Why do democrats only believe in free speech when you agree with them. If you don't you get shouted down, pie in the face or ran off the stage.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Nates at the tea party protest against Reid recently there were some Reid supporters (liberals) that threw eggs at the buses as they left.At least it wasn't rocks THIS time.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Why do democrats republicans only believe in free speech when you agree with them. If you don't you get shouted down, pie in the face or ran off the stage.

Anonymous

• No idea.

Regardless, I'm all for telling the Phelps pricks to shut up - permanently.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• and now the father of a solider whose funeral was protested has been ordered to pay legal fees for those assclowns. you can help him out here.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Section 12 - Imposing conditions on public processions
    provides police the power to impose conditions on processions "to prevent serious public disorder, serious criminal damage or serious disruption to the life of the community"

11 -14 of the Public Order Act 1986.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Why do democrats only believe in free speech when you agree with them.

when did I say I don't believe in free speech, or want to curtail Phelps'? sorry you didn't understand the question.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• wow, I didn't realize Phelps had so many friends here.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2010