My daughter is 20 months old and ready to potty train, however I dont know where to begin.. Any suggestions??

KPlunk

Asked by KPlunk at 11:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get a training toilet and let her sit on it? lol idk.. i have months before nathan will be ready
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 11:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• How do you know she is ready?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Buy the cloth trianing pants. If she is wanting to go potty, then let her go on the potty. My kids never liked the kid potty. My little girl was potty trained at 20 months...I didn't like having to take her every hour (cause she wanted to) but it's worth it in the end.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Please be sure that she is actually ready to potty train. 18 months is quite young. If she's not really ready, you are setting her up for failure! Good signs she's ready include; she signals that his or her diaper is wet or soiled, seems interested in the potty chair or toilet. Says that she would like to go to the potty, understands and follows basic instructions, feels uncomfortable if his or her diaper is wet or soiled, stays dry for periods of 2 hours or longer during the day, wakes up from naps with a dry diaper, can pull her pants down and then up again. If she is not quite ready, that's ok! Her system may not be advanced enough for her to control her bathroom urges. You don't have to "keep up" with other parents who might push their children too soon :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 7:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• my girls were both fully potty trained before 2 years. My oldest was 19 months she was fully trained by 19 months but she still wore diapers to bed until she was 26 months old. I started her at 12 months, but with her birthday in april it was nice playing outside she didn't want to go in so I backed off until the colder weather so she was 18 months took one month to teach her after that. My second I started at 13 months old she was waking up in the morning and nap with dry diapers and staying dry monst of the day and when she saw sissy sitting on the potty she wanted to so I let her started potty training she was almost fully potty trained when she was 15 or 16 months old, but then she cought rotavirus and had diareha for 3 weeks so I had to stop doing it and by time she got better I had to do the whole thing over again so she was then fully trained at 21 months I think.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• oh ya neither of my girls liked the potty chair they rather use the big potty. I bought a potty seat for both of them and achually waisted my money cause they wouldn't use it at all so I bought a seat to put on the big potty they started using it. I also never used pullups or diapers while training them I only used them if we went someplace that had no potty. I used underwear only it is a lot of work, but it is worth it in the end
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I started by sitting mine on a potty chair whenever I went. This went on for a couple of months. Then I added a routine of sitting them on it after each meal and before nap for 5 minutes or so. Then I let them run around naked and sat the potty nearby and then when they got the hang of that, I started sitting them on the big potty, let them run around naked and after a while they got the hang of it, especially when they knew I was unhappy if they went on the floor. I did have one who would deliberately go on the floor if she was mad at me, LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My grandmother used to bring me into the bathroom with her when she needed to use it. It was observation and taking the time to explain that worked. All kids want to be BIG boys and girls. She told me that I was potty trained by 9 mos old. I, did this with my girls and though 1 took longer than the other, it seems to be a good technique.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 9:05 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Be patient and be ready to clean up lots of accidents. My daughter wasn't potty trained during the day until she was older than 3, and at night she wasn't dry until she was almost 7. If you start and it doesn't seem to be working, give it a rest for a while. Don't stress out, she'll get there eventually.
    Try taking her for a potty break about a half hour after she drinks. Give her lots to drink so she has something to "work with" . I found that turning on the faucet helped things flow lol
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My daughter was fully potty trained at 20 months. She is 26 months now and still doing well. I had bought her a potty when she was about 18 months. I never forced her to go but i praised the heck out of her when she did go. At about 20 months she just started going and taking her pull up off when she had to go.
    Buy her pull ups or panties. Let her pick out the panties,I use character ones and I tell my daughter, "now make sure you dont wet Dora up". When in the house take her bottoms off so that its easier for her to go until she learns how to pull her panties down quick enough.
    When you go out for long periods of time, put her on a pull up but ask her about every 30 min or so does she have to go. You can buy portable potty top or something.
    Just go with her and it will become 2nd nature to her. dont force her or be discourage when she has accidents. Just kinda go with the flow.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2010