How can i get my daughter to eat more veggys. She throws them out when I m not lookin or takes way too long and I give in.

marievegan

Asked by marievegan at 11:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• they have veggie chicken nuggets.. and veggie hot dogs and burgers. i give them to my daughter she loves em!
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 11:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• How old is she? Does she eat any? Are there ones that she likes better than others and will eat without a problem? Does she eat all the other food groups well? DOes she say WHY she doesn't like the ones you give her?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I really don't know. I don't have that problem for the most part. My 2 year old won't eat salad with dressing on it but he will if there is nothing on it. My 11 month old was crying because I wasn't giving him salad fast enough for him last night. My 8 year old has always preferred fruits and veggies over meat and stuff. I hope you can find a way to get your little one to eat them.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Don't give in. If you give in she will never have a reason to eat them. Try pureeing veggies like spinach into your tomato sauce to top whole wheat pasta or spinach noodles. She shouldnt be able to tell the difference. If she likes butter, cheese or seasonng then add those to her veggies. Add enough so she will like it and then gradually scale back on those things.
    Last resort when my dd eats everything on her plate but the veggies, she only gets veggies as a snack. I give her frozen (cooked) peas with a little seasoning and she eats it like her cheerios. Baked Sweet potatoes are a healthy and tasty option too. You can bake them and add brown sugar or you can make them like french fries (baked will be healthier).
    I hear that Deceptively Delicious cookbook is great for a problem like this. Buts much easier to find a way to give her a love for veggies out in the open.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My mother had that problem with me.  I'm 46 now and my mom is still trying to get me to eat veggies. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Make them taste better. Never use canned veggies. Never boil them. Steam them or roast them in the oven, and season them correctly. Little things like lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, cumin, even a little grated parmesan can be used in different combinations to make them taste better. For the most part, plain, raw vegetables taste horrible. Adding heat, especially by roasting, brings out the natural sugars without destroying the nutrients.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Pressuring them is not the answer, of course. Presentation helps since it's hard to resist anything that looks so good. I don't want to presume anything, but if she's trained already to expect junk food pacifiers, that could be a monster. In any case, it is all about setting an example, offering choices in each catagory and of course, taking the time to make the food, appealing.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2010