Dealing with post natal depression

I have been diagnosed with postnatal depression, it started about 8 weeks ago. I have been in Zoloft ever since. Has anyone been on this medication, or how did u cope through PND? I am also seeing a social worker.

BrookeNLilyRose

Asked by BrookeNLilyRose at 12:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm on it even as I type!! So you've been on the zoloft for 8 wks. If you aren't feeling any improvement you need to go back to your Dr. A social worker really helped me, but one that actually gave me some tools to use rather than just nodding her head and agreeing with me. I found the Zoloft helped for a good while. then plateau'd so I had to increase my dose. I would not be without it now! All I can say is talk about it to your family and friends, be open and honest, ignore those who are negative and seek out those who seem supportive. There should be a new moms group or playgroup nearby, go to it, even if you just sit there. I also found exercise was a huge help, it releases endorphins, just like a good cry or piece of chocolate :-) I'm happy to PM or email if you's like a friendly ear.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Do you mean post partum depression? I've never heard of PND. If you mean PPD, I find that the pill makes mine way worse. If you're on the pill, find a non hormonal BC method now and stop the pill. Also, BFing releases oxytocin which is a hormone that causes a happy, loving feeling. My PPD lasts about 7 months then improves on its own.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• PPD is the same thing as PND - It is called PND is Australia mostly, not sure where OP lives, but it is the same thing ( probably because most people know that anything with the word natal in it relates to pregnancy in some way, whereas partum is not well known - it means "after parturition." and of course we all know that parturition is childbirth..not LOL)
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2010