How many sahm's get by on one vehicle?

we are currently tryin to sell our second vehicle so we can pay off some debt. my husband works evenings so i think it wouldn't be too hard to go by with just 1 vehicle. most of our runnin around and activities are all in the morning. i was just curious how many other families have just one vehicle or if we are crazy for doing this...lol. i would rather tough it out with 1 than be broke and debt ridden forever

batsonsgirl

Asked by batsonsgirl at 12:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm a SAHM and we have one car. Sometimes we have to wait to go grocery shopping until my husband is available to go. We walk to the park, or ride bikes. You just have to get creative. Arrange play dates with people that live near by, instead of across town, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My husband and I have been married almost 3 years, we've only ever had one vehicle and we've managed just fine.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:14 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• we did that for ever we just got our second car about 2 months ago but it worked good for us my DH has always worked nights and i obviously was a SAHM. so it was all good for us. but it was a sporty car and i really wanted a 4 door so an opportunity arouse and we bought it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• we do
    we're looking to by some type of SUV soon because it can get hard especially because I have my own business...thank goodness its not peak profit time because Id have to be in office a lot more

it can be hard, you have to communicate every detail because if you forgot to get rice for dinner and he takes the car then your out of luck

my advice, with one car just always stay one step ahead as far as daily agendas go
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• when i was in that boat we made it,was it fun HECK NO! i hated every second of it.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• We only have one, it was mine when we met. Our main problem for the last year is there is something wrong with it that we still can't figure out what. It wants to die all the time if you don't work the gas pedal right, and every time I've tried, I can't even get out of the parking lot at our apt complex. I haven't driven in about a year, it's driving me crazy (no pun intended). It got worse when he started working nights, he gets home at 0430, sometimes pulls a double and has to be back at 1100 am!! Those days we don't go anywhere. I never see anybody, that's why I'm on here half the time, lol

I hope one day it's going to get better, cuz life really stinks right now.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• We did it for a long time. We only got our second car February of last year. Before that we only ever had one car. It wasn't so bad, really. If I wasn't trying to get doula clients then we might sell Max's truck to save money lol. We made it work. It would be hard going back to one now that we've had two for so long, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• i am a stay at home mom and my fiance uses our only car to get to and from work... so its not to hard ... it may take some gettign used to but we do just fine with one vehicle... but i do really want another one ....
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 12:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• We only have 1 vehicle and it's not an issue. I walk everywhere I need to go since I live in a very small community.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• We just have one vehicle. My husband works during the day but it's only about 20 min away so on the days that we have gymnastics, Dr Apts or things that I need the car for we just wake up and take him to work so we can have the car. So it is def doable!!!! I work form home so it keeps me busy not having to go anywhere :-).
    We did have 2 cars but decided it was more cost effective to just be paying on one since we don't NEED it.

Good Luck!!
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 8:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2010