Is there a way to keep bananas from turning brown so fast?

Aside from eating them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Use a banana hanger, I love mine and they last longer, it really only extends it by a few days but that is normally enough. Also If I am buying enough to last awhile I try to pick them so that have what i buy still needs to ripen that way when the first half is gone the second half is ready to be eaten.

We go through ALOT of bananas around here.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• *half what i buy not Have sorry
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• when you buy bananas, buy half that are ripe & ready to eat & the rest green so they will have time to ripen while the days pass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• OP here. I do that too, use a hanger thingy and buy one bunch ready to eat and the other green. The yellow ones only last about 24 hours and the green a couple of days. Is my kitchen too warm, too cold, or too humid? We keep the temp at 70 and we live in a somewhat humid place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Once they get as ripe as you want them, put them in the fridge. The peel itself will turn all brown, but the banana inside will stop ripening and won't get mushy. It lasts about a week longer that way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I read that if you seperate them right off the bat they will stay yellow longer and it works for us.
    zeppelynn

Answer by zeppelynn at 8:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I second what zeppelynn said.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Buy them while they are still a little green. I would NOT put them in the fridge, bananas get riper faster in the fridge.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Separating them when you bring them home does keep them fresh longer. Don't know why it works, but it does. I sometimes even buy the single ones that have been broken off from a bunch at the store.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• bananas get riper faster in the fridge.

No, they don't. The peel turns brown, the banana stays the same as it was when you put it in the fridge. Put a green banana in the fridge, the next day you'll have an unripe banana in a brown peel.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2010