sex after a C-section

I had a C-section a little over 3 weeks ago and haven't gone to my ob yet so i couldn't really ask when it would be ok to start having sex again. I was wondering if any of you had a C-section how long it was until you started having sex again and if you did it on your own or asked your dr first.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• probably around the 3-4 wk mark, just be careful as you might find your tummy is a bit sore... there is no hard and fast rule..My obgyn told me to just be sure to have tried 'before' my visit so if there were any probs I could ask then. If you feel ready and comfortable, go for it .... have fun :-)
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• The number one rule is to wait until you're done bleeding to lessen chances of infection. I didn't wait nearly as long as I should have, & even though I was lucky enough to not have any complications from it, it was still a bad move on my part. I would say 3-4wks is fine as long as you're done bleeding & you're healing appropriately around your incision. If you're unsure, ask your doctor to be sure.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I had a c-section and I would strongly suggest talking to your Dr first - even if it's before your visit, but you just call his / her office. Or, wait the 6 weeks, and then maybe try a day or so before your appt. Just because you're not bleeding doesn't mean that everything inside is all healed up.

I ended up with a uterine infection and was re-admitted back into the hospital, not to mention the pain! I know you're probably ready to be able to have sex - especially non pg sex - but honestly, wait a little longer and talk to your Dr first.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• For my first c-section I waited 4 weeks, the next I waited 3 weeks, and the next only a week and a half....but I'm not recommending that, as it can cause infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• With my first, I waited 3-4 wks. just don't go crazy, lol. Be careful cuz u are very fertil! I had a bad scare my first time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You are supposed to wait 6 weeks, just like with a vaginal birth. You aren't supposed to have sex until your dr does the 6 week exam and gives you the all clear. You can get an infection or injure your incision by having sex too soon. After my first c-section we had sex 4 weeks after the surgery and it hurt so bad that I was scared to have sex again and it was another 10 weeks before I was ready to try it again. After the 2nd and 3rd c-sections we had sex at 7 weeks post partum with very little discomfort.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You should wait at least the 6 weeks, especially if you were dilated, or labored before the section. The risk (I believe) is that the cervix doesn't completely close until around 6 weeks, and you can get infections if you have sex while still dilated. ( This is what I THINK is the reason. Ask your medical professional to be sure )

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• my ob said no sex or driving for 6 weeks...we probably had sex at week 5 ...that's around the time I started driving again too.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 11:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• The reason my dr. gave me for the 6-week rule was because it takes 6 weeks for all the tissue to completely heal. The outside layer is healed in 2 (I believe) but it take until 6 for the under layers to completely heal.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 11:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You should wait the full 6 weeks. I did, and I still felt a lot of discomfort. It was very sore in there, so I am sure it was still healing. I can't imagine having sex at 3 or 4 weeks... that must be very painful.
    Anonymous