i am junking their car to get money!!!!!

a family friend of ours asked us if they could park their totalled truck in our back drive way for 3 days while they moved then at that time they would pay to have it moved to their new house. here it is 3 months later and the truck is still in our driveway. we have email, called, text, threatened, we've done everything possible.extended time lines over and over again. my husband wants tojust junk it and get the cash out of it. we are also at risk of getting a big fine from the city since the tags are expired..what would you do?

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 2:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would junk it and get the money. If you have tried everything they don't care obviously so I say go for it! Do what you gotta do to get it off your property and that way you don't get fined... We got fined for that where I live so it's not worth it.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 2:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Talk to an attorney first...just to be sure they cannot sue you. Keep copies of all your written contact attempts. Then junk the truck.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:04 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I'd be afraid they'd charge you with auto theft. Just saying....
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 3:04 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• OP here....there was to written contract it was all verbal..but i do have all theemails
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 3:04 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Send a certified letter to them - keep a copy of it and a copy of the letter - saying that "Your car has been here ___ amount of time. As per our agreement, it was only supposed to be here for ___ time. Your car needs to be removed by ___ time."

Then, if they don't remove it - I would take it to small claims court. It shouldn't cost you very much, and it will protect you legally. Because you can end up getting legal permission to junk it, and possibly even get a judgment against them for storage fees.

good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You can't junk it without the tittle, but you can have it towed at their expense.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I agree. You have to send a certified letter to give them the opportunity to come get it. If not you could be sued for the value of the vehicle which is more than the junk price or crusher price you'd get for it. THEN I'd call the junk yard or crusher and ask them if you need the title. Each state is different. OR you can call a tow truck and ask them to come remove it. They would charge the owners for the tow.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• How far do they live away? Have it towed to their new home and let them deal with it. Make sure they won't charge you first for the towing fees. This is sad and a friendship may be lost. But Try one more time!! Good luck with that! I have DH's junk truck outside our bedroom window. I hate it out there! So I sure know how you feel. Good luck.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:05 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I would have it towed to their new home at the owners expense. Then the tow company will have to deal with them and not you. If you sell it you may be charged with auto theft plus you have to have the title signed over to you in order to sell it. You could always ask your police dept what you thoughts are and they are helpful in telling you what to do.
    sonja007

Answer by sonja007 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• IT SEEMS YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND HAVE EXAUSTED ALL YOUR WAYS OF TRYING TO GET THE TRUCK REMOVED. SEEMS THESE PEOPLE HAVE USED YOUR FRIENDSHIP TO THE MAX AND YES CODES WILL FINR YOU IF YOU DONT HEED TO THEIR WARNINGS SO I WOULD DO WHAT I HAD TO DO TO GET RID OF THIS JUNK TRUCK. MISSLJ
    misslj

Answer by misslj at 9:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2010