Breast pain with BFing....

I have been BFing my DS for just over three weeks now and when it is close to feeding time I have this HORRIBLE sharp pain in my breasts. I would compare it to the pain of muscle cramps. I'm not engorged & no drainage (like infection) so I was just wondering if this is normal or what it could be? This is my first time BFing so I don't know what to expect and what is NORMAL.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like your version of letdown. Yes, normal...yes, it will go away.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• normal - bump above sounds like a strong let down, this gets stronger as your breast figure out what they are supposed to do. It will ease off as they settle. Warm face washers or packs can ease that discomfort while you feed, just be sure to keep them away from baby's face.. It can also help to let the other breast flow freely as you feed, rather than trying to stop the flow. ( so if you feed on the right breast allow the left breast to flow( put a facewasher or soft cloth to catch the flow but not pushing on the left side at all). Trust me, it will get better
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Sounds like let-down to me too! Totally normal. ;) I wear a breast pad for my opposite breast. I still get that "pain" but I recognize it as let down and it's usually a relief! You'll get used to it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• If it's sharp and kind of a pins and needles sensation and gets better after the baby suckles a little, then it's let down. If it's a shooting pain and hurts off and on throughout the feeding and sometimes afterwards, then it could be thrush. If it's a stabbing pain and you have a fever then it's mastitis. Go to KellyMom.com and the LLL's website and read up on thrush and mastitis and make sure that doesn't sound like what's going on. If you decide it's thrush or mastitis and not just let down then give your dr a call.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2010