Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can i do about my daughters deadbeat dad?????????

I recently asked what can i do to my daughters father who is a deadbeat. i want his parental rights to be taken from him. we both live in nys. He hasnt seen our daughter since she was 2 and now she is 6. i already went to court n got soul custody n he got supervised visitation he hasnt bothered n june will b a year since we went to court. He is on ssd(social sec disability)i was ordered support over two yrs ago i dont even care bout the support its only suppose to be 25.00 a month. he dont have a lisence so they cant take that away what am i to do PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (7)
  • You cannot control him or MAKE him not be who he has chosen to be. What can you do? Love your child, have regret for who you chose to be her father, make better choices in the future about the man you are willing to be with. Get on with both of your lives, set a good example for your daughter, and pray she doesn't make the same mistake that you made....Be free, respect yourself, and forget about child support from this "boy", it isn't worth the stress, and the truth is that there is very little in life that is fair.....take care.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

  • If he is on SSI he should get a check for her. You could call SS and find out if he does and if he should and if it can come to you.

    Answer by Carpy at 9:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

  • I would first look here to see if there is any helpful information.  You know best about your particular situation and unless one of the women on here is in the legal field in NY, I would be willing to bet that you can get better info elsewhere online. 

    I don't know that you can have his parental rights taken away without him having the opportunity to defend himself to a judge.   If he continually does not show for visits and does not pay CS, keep documentation of everything.   


    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

  • I can't figure out what it is you want to acomplish. Are you all torn up because he doesn't want to see his kids? there is really nothing yo ucan do about that. You can spend the money to try and have his parental rights taken away but I don't realy know why. Someday you will fall in love and can have your new dh adopt them. You'd have a better chance then of making this all work.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

  • There may be a few reasons to want to dissolve his parental rights right now. One being that in several states the non-custodial parent can refuse to allow the custodial parent to move further than a certain number of miles away from where they are (in TX I believe it's 100 miles). If she wants to move for any reason (family move, employment, etc.) she will have to get permission from him to take the child with her (if the move requires her to go beyond what is stipulated). And since child support and custody are separate arrangements he could deny her the move even if the opportunity is a good one and he isn't supporting his child. I don't know of anyone (admittedly I have limited experience with this - watching friends go through this) has an arrangement where custody and child support are in the same order. The only one's I know of are separate (although they shouldn't be IMO).


    Answer by QuinnMae at 12:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

  • Just because YOU want them taken away doesn't mean that will happen. YOU chose to sleep with a man who is on SSD. You must have known his income is very limited. Maybe he is sick. Is that the reason why he hasn't made it to the visits? Have you asked? Or are you just concerned about stripping hom of his parental rights?

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

  • PP, why do you assume that she has given all of her reasons for not wanting him to have any rights? One can not be too careful while posting online, someone she knows could be here. If you want to know more about her situation maybe you should ask her what you want to know. Why so aggressive?


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.