My 21 mo old is driving me to the loony bin

Hi all!

My son is 20 (almost 21) months old. And I am at my whits end with him already! He won't eat. I know - they'll eat when they are hungry- but this is getting old. He has always disliked solid food, and its only getting worse. For a year - he doesn't like something, or is tired of it being in his mouth, he spits it out. (we;ve tried removing him from the food, saying NO, etc etc etc). One day he will eat an item like crazy, the next he won't touch it and it just goes on the floor.
He is refusing to sit in his highchair now too (thanks to my idiot husband). I dread meal time, absolutely dread it over these battles with him. (btw, he will eat crap like cookies just fine, has no physical reason not to be eating either, and drinks his milk like there is no tomorrow).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't fight him over this. I would offer him whatever you want him to eat. If he refuses to eat it, put it in the fridge. Next meal, offer it to him again, etc. Cut out all junk food. He will eat the food you offer when he is hungry enough. And he will not starve himself to the point of death. This is not about the food. This is about winning a battle with you. You are the mom, and you control the food supply in your house as well as the authority for what does and does not go on there. So there is no need for you to fight with him about this. If he doesn't want to eat, let him choose to be hungry.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• get some pediasure....
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• hey my one yr old and 4 yr old has already admitted me, lol
    stacy1403

Answer by stacy1403 at 8:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Good luck with this. Hate to break it to you, but it is not true that he will eat when he gets hungry enough. After a while when fasting, the appetite goes away. One of my kids became malnourished because of her stubborness. Start by taking away all sweets, including fruit juice. Make him regular meals and snacks, make him sit in his high chair or at the table to eat. Don't give him anything to drink with the meals. Give him milk as a snack in between, sitting at the table. If he throws it in the floor, that is a tantrum. Treat it as such. Remain calm the whole time. Sit with him, drinking a cup of tea during meals and snacks. If he throws a fit, leave the table, and don't engage with him. Pick a few things for him to eat, but not a lot of variety. My rule was if it made them gag I didn't push it. Oatmeal and applesauce for Breakfast, Peanut butter and jelly sandwhich for lunch and whatever you are having for di
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• ...dinner is good. No junk food no sugary snacks. Be prepared to have to fight others on the sugar issue. Stand your ground. If they disrespect you in front of your child, call them on it in front of your child. These are the things that worked best for me.....Force him to try things consistantly. Even If he gets upset every time.....Best wishes to you! I had 2 like this, and these are the things I learned through trial and error. It didn't work perfectly because each child is different. My oldest is now a mother and her son is just like she was in this area.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Keep sweets out of sight, don't give him so much milk, if he's filling up on the milk that might be why he's not eating. You don't always have to force them to eat. when my son wouldn't eat something, well after a while I got tired of trying and end up fighting with him about it, so i started setting the food in front of him and just left it there and didn't bug him about it. Eventually he got curious and tried it out on his own. (It didn't always work, but does most of the time for him.)
    GimmpyUrameshi

Answer by GimmpyUrameshi at 9:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Im taking it he is drinking whole milk. He is not eating because he is filling up on milk. My daughter who is 2 just went through this and I tested her out. I gave her watered down apple juice and water all day long and she was eating like crazy because she didnt have the milk to fill up on.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• around 12 months my son decided he was too grown up for his highchair, we had a booster that strapped to a chair, so now we use that, and he gets to sit at the table like a big boy and he eats there..GL
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My son is 21 months old and has always loved eggs. Now he won't eat them all of a sudden. I feel ya. I just pull the food, put it in the refigerator, and wait another hour to feed him.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2010