I think my daughter is having infantile seizures?

I was first concerned after watching a TV show which showed a child who was later diagonised with tuberous sclerosis having a seizure. I noticed that my daugter occasionally would do the same thing. Now I have been watching videos of babies having infantile seizures and it is so similar to what she does. She is five weeks old on Wendesday, should I wait until my 8 week check to see the doctor or mention it sooner? What should I ask to be done to confirm either way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Write down in detail what happens before, during and after you think she has a seizure. If you can video it, that is even better. There may be "triggers" you aren't aware of. The doctor should do an MRI and EEG to determine if she does have them, but even that isn't perfect.
    My son (now age 7) had two seizures at 5 weeks, my doctor trusted me and sent him for testing. In the two weeks we waited, I never saw another one. I started to think maybe they were just my imagination. Luckily he had another seizure while they were testing him! I was right! Trust your instincts. My son's MRI was normal and three years on phenobarbital later, we were able to stop the medication. He has been seizure free ever since. Good luck!
    Mom2FiveBoys

Answer by Mom2FiveBoys at 2:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• if you are concerned, take her to a doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I think you should call your doctor right away, and tell them what's going on. It may or may not be seizures, but you should get her in right away just in case. You really don't want to mess around with that kind of thing.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• If you believe she's having seizures, she needs medical attention immediately. Seizures are usually a symptom of a more serious problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I had baby seizures when I was 1 month old. I was put on a med until I was 1 years old and never had a problem since with seizures. Though I agree, you should get her into a doctor's office.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I had the same concerns when my daughter was 5 months old. I video taped her when I thought she was having them and took the videos with me to the doctor. She sent me to take her in for an EEG (brain wave scan) and to follow up with a neurologist. Everything turned out to be ok, but I am the type of person to always check everything out. I would have hated myself if there was something wrong and I didn't do all I could to stop it earlier.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Take a video of it. Then go to the doctor with the video. If they don't see it happen they likely won't run an EEG which is what is necessary.
    Anonymous

• I would definitely cosult your Dr. after taking video of what you beleive to be a seizure. Trust your motherly instinct. I have a cousin whos daughter went through TONS of testing and way too many seizures before she was finally diagnosed with Dravet Syndrome.
    If they are infact seizures, mention Dravet Syndrome. It seems that unless they are specifically looking for that (a childhood form of epilepsy) they wont find it?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My son had infantile spasms. It is a devastating seizure disorder that can be fatal. Take a video and go to your doctor! It PROBABLY isn't IS. IS is very rare, but if it is, the quicker your baby recieves treatment the better the outcome! My son is now 8 yrs old and 4 months post op from his 4th brain surgery to try and stop his seizures, so I know just how important it is to get this type of seizure under control. Wishing you the best!!! :(
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 1:18 AM on May. 12, 2010