It just makes me wanna.... AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I HAVE TRYED EVERYTHING!!! My three and a half year old WILL NOT POTTY TRAIN! Iv tryed every thing, and i mean if its written down in a book or online on potty training tips iv done it... Nothing is working! He will use the potty once or twice a day,thats it. I know he knows how to do it. He just wont continue with it. He is autistic but advanced autisium. Doctor says its not a reason he shouldnt be potty trained or close to it by now. I really have to turn around and walk away sometimes so my son doesnt see me cry or scream into a pillow cause thats how stressful it is for me. Everyday cleaning pee off floors and couches. I need help. Asap.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• each child is different, try early steps,,.. it may be hes just acting out.... talk to the doctor into helping you.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• i think hes just not ready yet-
    boy take longer than girls
    give it time, i know its frustrating but in his own time he will and it will be less tramatic for him.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• breath mama .. i been there my son will be 4 aug 30th and i just got him potty trained and sometimes i catch him pissn in his floor and i spank him for it bc he knows better just look at it like this.. he is using potty 1 or 2 times per day . he knws what he is doing he will start doing all together .. just breath reward him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Have you tried taking away diapers completely? And never going back. Undies only. You'll have a messy 1-3 days, but he should catch on. Diapers are OK for night time still. Stay home for a few days while you do this. I wouldn't want to go anywhere. Good luck!!!! And don't feel bad. My son was 3 1/2 too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You need to take him to the potty every 45 minutes. Do not rely on him to go on his own. So many mom's seem to think the child should know to take themselves potty. I can tell you that my friends and I have 7 year olds that we still need to remind to go potty at certain parts of the day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• OP here.... He will be 4. In aug also. It also pisses me off when family and friends have the nerve to put him down cause hes still potty training. For example, my nephews birthday was last week. He turned 3 and has been potty trained sense 18months old. My sister tells me that my son needed to come to the party in a diaper so he didnt pee on her new couches or we couldnt go at all. I dont put him in diapers except for at bed time or running to tje store... So we didnt go. It doesnt help that hes the size of a 5yr old so people look at him funny in a diaper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My son just completely potty trained a month before his fourth birthday - boys are slower than girls and they tend to be lazy!! I think this a totally normal age. The best thing I did was let him run around naked - he didn't want to pee on the floor so he would go in the potty. We did this for a few days and he got the hang of it. If your son is going a couple times of day he is doing just fine keep encouraging him. I also find one gummy bear or a sticker if they go on the potty works too reinforce the good behavior.
    Remysmom226

Answer by Remysmom226 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My son will be 4 in June and we are still potty training. There are days that he goes everytime and there are days he does not go in the potty at all. It is frustrating but I have found that the more I worry about it and push him the less he goes in the potty. I just let him do his thing, give him reminders every half hour or so and give a small candy when he does go in the potty. He is much harder than my dd who potty trained at 2. I have been told by many other moms that boys are harder and I believe he will do it when he is ready. When we go out I still put a pull up on him but when we are home he is in underwear. If he has an accident he helps clean it up and we move on. I do not dwell on it at all. Your son will get it and so will mine. It is just going to take them a while longer-really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things-at least in my way of thinking anyway.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My son ( who is not autistic or anything else diagnosed) didnt become potty trained until RIGHT before his 4th birthday.
    I didn't bring it up anymore, I dropped the whole potty thing and put him in pull ups ( the only thing big enough for him) and left it alone for like a month. Then I took him to the store and let him pick out his new underwear and explained to him before I agreed to buy them that he could only have them on if he used the toilet or I would return them to the store.
    I stopped yelling, I stopped stressing, I stopped everything. I encouraged if he wanted to but I didn't drive him nuts about it. It made him let go off the bad feelings about the whole potty thing and gave me time to build up the patience. I let him decide about it.
    He decided and he has never had an accident, and he has YET to pee the bed at night and it's been over a year now.
    It didn't do it when I was ready, he did it when HE was ready.
    PhatAttack

Answer by PhatAttack at 11:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Since he's autistic, I assume he's in school. His teacher may be able to help you out. My nephew is autistic (right in the middle of the spectrum) and his teachers were very helpful in getting through this. Just make sure that what they do at school is consistent with what you do at home. You also need to try not to take what others say too seriously. They aren't dealing with a child with special needs which brings its own set of challenges. My son will be three next week and isn't potty trained. I can totally sympathize with you. (He has some minor developmental delays that don't help...) I put him in pullups and keep trying. I sometimes put on regular underwear then a pullup. that way he feels wet (although he admittedly doesn't care) but I don't have the cleanup.. Some doctors recommend waiting until 3 to potty train (boys at least) so you really aren't that far off.
    Anonymous