OK, so I called to get my son into the dr yesterday for an ear infection. When asked what kind of insurance we had, I told her none. Here's how the conversation went:

"Hi, my name is Bayly, my family just moved to town, and I need to find a pediatrician for my son, and would like to get in today or tomorrow if at all possible."
"What kind of insurance do you carry?"
"Uh, well... we don't yet, we just got here."
"Ok, let me get your number, I'll talk to Doctor and give you a call back."
****TWO HOURS LATER, I CALL BACK****
"Any news? My son has an ear infection and needs to get in to see the Doctor."
"Um, I haven't had the chance to grab Doctor yet, let me put you on hold."
****almost 10 mins later****
"Ma'am? Neither of our Doctors are accepting new patients at this time."

What the crap? Is this because I don't have insurance? Because I can DAMN WELL pay for this in cash ahead of time! I just needed to see a freakin' doctor because my son has been fussing for 3 days now!

I would expect that the women in the office would know ahead of time if Drs weren't taking new patients..

matobe

Asked by matobe at 10:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I feel subjected to rejection because of the fact we don't have insurance!! Ugh, is this even allowed?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• yes, doctors don't have to see anyone if they don't want to. only and ER can't refuse to treat you
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Hm, wtf. Why didn't she just say we aren't accepting new patients?
    Those receptionists are supposed to speak nicely to callers and have patience and atleast ACT caring.

Is their an Urgent care where your at? I hope your son feels better.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• yes, they dont have to take any patient they dont want to. take your ds to the er, they are the only ones obligated by law to see him, then you can arrange payments or have your insurance payy for it retro actively. Next time you call be sure to say you dont have insurance but will pay in full cash, then they see you. alot of docs are rripped off everyday and the"no new patients" thing was a way of politely saying that. call another doc, say you have money to pay, or go to the er so your son feels better. thats the most important thing. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yes, it's perfectly legal. Any private office can refuse anyone on any basis. A lot of doctors around here will not take uninsured patients, cash or not. You can take him to the ER so long as it's a publicly funded one, if it's a privately funded hospital they have the right to deny care also. Around here NO pediatrician would take a new patient on a sick call, you have to be a regular patient first. Also, unless you have a new-born the waiting period (again, where I live) is 1-3 months for new patients.
    If he has an ear infection he needs to be seen, take him to an ER, the health department or an urgent care. Hope he feels better soon.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:04 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It was probably due to the fact that you don't have insurance.

Last year I took my son to urgent care, for some reason he wasn't showing up on the insurance. I said, well I can pay by debit card or check. She said "We're sorry, there's just so much paperwork involved that we can't treat him. But, if you take him to the ER they can better assist you."

Luckily, the ER billed his insurance and they paid. No wonder premiums keep going up, everyone is going to the ER for simple matters.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I like the new walgreens clinics we have here. They don't care if you don't have insurance you can pay cash.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• So just call another Dr. It's true they don't have to take patients. Did you tell them you could pay cash? They usually get the info before you come in if you are new to cut down the paperwork time.
    Since you are new find one of those emergency clinics that are popping up everywhere. then you can take your time and find a good Dr for your family.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It is most likely because you don't have insurance. People who don't have insurance generally don't pay their bills right away. I understand that some can pay cash, and some are very prompt about paing. However, most generally the patients without insurance are neglegent about paying their medical bills. Which is why most practitioners don't allow patients without insurance to be treated at their office. I don't believe they can legally turn you away without a valid reason. That's why they made the excuse that they're not taking patients. It could also be that she honestly didn't know, but it sounds like she was just trying to get away with not saying "Sorry, no insurance, no care."
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I live in a small town in PA. I have been trying for 14 YEARS to get into the medical building they built in town. we either had no insurance, or the wrong insurance. We did however, have the right insurance to drive 32 miles round trip to see a doctor in a different town.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2010