Which should we do?

We have couple that are friends at our church that are getting married. We had decided that since they are getting married on the day before my 2nd dd's birthday and most of her friends would be there we would have the party at our churches playground after the wedding and sort of during the reception and that way the kids could play and the adults could still mingal a little and have lots of fun.

Well here is the choose. My oldest who is 10 is old enough to participate in a race that if she wins she goes to state and then off to Hershey Virgina for championship race. I don't know if she is that good but I do know that since we homeschool I would hate to keep her from an oppritunity like this. She is really constricted and so am I. I don't want to tell her what to do. What would you do?

I think that we can still have the party but not sure since of timing.

tichelle

Asked by tichelle at 10:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Can you still have the party and then when its time to leave for her race, you or her dad just leave the party early and take her?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• If that were my wedding I'd be pissed by you horning in like that for your own benefit. I'd be asking the bride about that. As for the other child, do what's important. Your 2nd child will always have another birthday but how many times will the first child get an opportunity to go to the race?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Is there a grandparent, Aunt or uncle that could take the child to the race?
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 11:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• The 2 yr old won't remember that party next week. I don't think I'd have my party during a reception for someone else. Thats just weird. Take the 10 yr old and go to chuck e cheese or something for the 2 yr old another day.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Personally I agree w/pp, I would never ask a friend to allow a b-day party during her reception and if I was a Bride I would be very upset. BUT, I'm sure your friend already agreed to this and doesn't mind SO....who cares lol. If it were me and my son had a tournament coming up on that day I would definitely be taking him and reschedule the b-day party. Otherwise, find a family member or friend you trust to take her. If she competes on a team can her coach or teammate take her?
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Its rude for u to just take it upon yourself and have ur child b-day party during someone else's wedding reception. Hello, its the bride's day. As for the choosing, the track meet is way more important than a B-Day party, you can always throw a party the following weekend or do something nice with the family.
    jreid

Answer by jreid at 11:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Take the 10 year old to the race and have the 2 year old party the following weekend.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I think your daughter's race is a once in a lifetime oppertunity. I would definately allow her to go to that over a birthday party. You can always have the birthday party later that week. Your daughter's race is important and she could have a real chance at making it to state.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I don't know if you've talked to the bride already, but if my wedding was used as a child's birthday party, I'd be upset. Why not just have your child's party on her birthday? That way you don't run into the issue of choosing between the party for the baby and the race for your older daughter.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yall are not getting it it is not the party or the race it is the weeding or the race! The party was going to be on the tail end of the reception not at the start or really during. Right when the kids were getting reasless and would want to be playing anyway. It happens to be the day before her birthday and we had already decided on that day for the party before they annouced their wedding. The wedding and race are at the same time though and so the party would possible not be effected possible would be because of the hours and by the way I said 2nd child this is her 5th bday not my 2 yo she will be turning 3 in June!!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 3:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2010