Pagan connection to Palm Sunday

I know this sounds a little silly. At Christmas, Valentines and even ground hog day we hear of a pagan connection. How the holiday was pagan before Christian. Is there a pagan connection to Palm Sunday and Ash Wednesday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh boy, I'd love to hear how somebody could twist those two into something "stolen from Pagans". Interesting question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• March was an important month in the Roman year. Originally, it was the first month of the year and was celebrated with almost constant events. March 22 was the ancient Roman Festival of the Entry of the Tree. On this day priests of one of the goddesses, Cybele or Ops or Rhea, carried pine or palm trees through the city"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Palm Sunday is not always on March 22 and it is not always in March.

Palm Sunday is a Christian moveable feast that always falls on the Sunday before Easter Sunday
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I don't know much about Palm Sunday, so I don't know what the earlier connections could be. I would be surprised if it was a whole new concept, but what little I know does not suggest any direct connection to any Pagan holy days. If you are actually curious about the common underlying themes in mythology, which is what holy days are based on, I suggest you read up on comparative mythology.
    Anonymous

• Ash Wednesday yes here is a Christian link
    http://chriswillard.multiply.com/journal/item/530

Palm Sunday yes link here

http://ancienthistory.about.com/b/2004/03/21/pagan-origins-of-palm-sunday.htm

You asked I researched and answered
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It is not quite right to say that the holidays were Pagan before they were Christian. Christmas, for example, has a lot in common with Saturnalia, and not accidentally, but Christmas is not simply Saturnalia with a new name. One could legitimately say that it is Saturnalia version 2, but that means changes were made, and besides traditions were taken from other holidays as well. The changes are important as well as the parts that were kept. It is a subtle difference to say that modern holidays are based off of Pagan holidays, rather than they were Pagan first, but it is a difference that matters. One can say that they were stolen only because of the conscious effort the new religion made to usurp the holy day from the older religions, otherwise it would be a simple case of cultural diffusion.

Anonymous

• Honestly it doesn't matter what changes were made or what it is called now, she asked if there was a connection and there is. Technically though if you want to refer to modern times it is called PLAGIARISING today. If I took a concept for a design already done or a paper already written and make subtle changes to it. It would still be plagiarising. The holidays are great and I am grateful for them however I don't see why we get so upset when people talk about the history of what we do. If any one has a reason to be upset it would be the religions that originally held the customs not us. I didn't post the facts to start a well it's not really fair to say we stole it, but if you want to truth be told we did.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Cultural interchange happens all the time. Do we complain that other countries plagiarisedfast food when they open their own burger joints? Does anyone get upset that wearing long pants was stolen for our culture? Nobody should be upset that cultures borrow ideas from other cultures, we just learn from each other. If there is a connection, the more knowledge people have the better. And there is no point in not understanding that there are only so many themes that can be used in religion and myth. Yes in the case of Christian holidays it is fair to say that they were stolen, but we have to be equally fair and say that the culture it was stolen from wasn't the first to come up with it either - in some cases it was stolen, in others simply absorbed. Neither glorifying nor vilifying the old is of any use, learning it is.

Anonymous

Anonymous

• ^opps forgot to comment

I know they aren't pagan holidays but I find it amusing how pagans try so hard to dig up every single thing they can because they are afraid or uncertain about the Christian religion. The holidays Christians celebrate are Christian holidays
    Anonymous