Dr.s excuse for "Morning Sickness??!!

Has anyone had their work tell them that if they miss more than two days of work because of your "Morning Sickness" they will need a Dr.s excuse???

christyrbrgdn84

Asked by christyrbrgdn84 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it depends on your office policy... many employers require a note after 2 days of calling off for illness
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• have heard of it happening.:(
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• No, my work never said that to me but I went to the doctor and got one and handed it in anyway.
    I had awful morning sickness with my last pregnancy and it pretty much lasted the ENTIRE pregnancy. I would be at work and be fine and all of a sudden, I was done,lol.
    Doctors are usually pretty good about giving th enotes needed for work, don't worry about it.Ask them if they could even fax it over to them so you don't have to go up there. Get your rest and hope it passes soon!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Well, I work at Applebee's and I don't want to be puking in front of customer's or have to high tail it to the restroom just to. It all started yesterday and I was sick off and on and it started around 10 am and now it's the same thing today. It's a new manager and I've never had this problem. He was a big asshole about it. The other two managers know about it. But obviously they weren't there.
    christyrbrgdn84

Answer by christyrbrgdn84 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• All my jobs always had a policy that if you miss 2 days you can't come back the 3rd without a doctors excuse.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• And I know that some place's require it when your sick, but it's not like the dr can cure it, it comes with the territory of pregnancy.
    christyrbrgdn84

Answer by christyrbrgdn84 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Nope, that's a new one but my boss did threaten to fire me over my dizzy spells. She made me leave work one day to go to the doctor and told me I couldn't return to work until I had a letter from him saying I was capable of working while I was pregnant. (she was afraid I'd faint, hit my head and sue.) It was part of her laundry-list of neurosis, basically I think she was just jealous because she couldn't have kids but my doctor called her up and told her off!!

My husband's employer has that policy, any employee who misses 2 days of work in a row can't come back to work without a doctors note. If's that's the case I would just call the office, I'm sure one of the nurses wouldn't mind faxing over a sarcastic note saying your pregnant.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• yep, I was vomiting at work a few weeks ago and was required to bring in a dr note. I even had to bring in a doc note so that I could have extra bathroom breaks...
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It's the same as you being sick from an illness. Why would it be any different for morning sickness?
    You're taking two days off for something that anyone can claim .. Even an illness can be falsely reported .. So they require a Dr. note, so they can confirm that you're genuinely sick. They have to cover their butt from employees who are taking advantage of sick days. Even pregnant employees.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I dont know how my work would handle it becuase besides when I was pulled out for 5 weeks to be put on bedrest for my morning sickness with baby #2, I never missed more that a few hours for it. I had hyperemesis all three times and was on anti-nausea meds & had IV fluids every 2-5 days for weeks but I still went to work every day. I would just go to the bathroom when I needed to get sick. I have to provide for my family so missing work just wasnt an option for me. But I think that it would be just like any other illness... if you miss more than 2 days (so on the 3rd day) you need a doctors note
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2010