School lunches

After watching that show with Jamie Oliver i am refusing that my daughter eat school lunches when she starts kindergarden! I am still suprised that they called that breakfast pizza?! breakfast pizza should be a freash fruit pizza with yogurt NOT sausage cheese and pizza sauce.

So how many of you feed your kids school lunches and how many pack healthy lunches?

LOVE_mygirls58

Asked by LOVE_mygirls58 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• we won't do school lunch because I refuse to spend $3 a DAY on a crappy lunch
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My daughter buys a tuna sandwich from school every day. Either that or she brings one.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You do realize that it depends on the school. That it isn't every single school around the country that has horrible meals. When I was in elementary and middle school they had healthy and well made lunches. With quality foods.

When my children are in school I will pack their lunch. Regardless of the quality of the school lunches. I just want to know that my child is eating what he should be. Also, that he is getting what he likes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I do both, but our school has a healthy kids program so we dont have the really nasty lunches, not all schools are the same. Some schools have not caught up and some schools have parents who havent pushed and made a healthy lunch menu a priority.

I thought school lunches were going to be nasty when my kids started school, then I started working for the schools and had to handle ordering the food in for them and I got to learn first hand what was being served. I was surprised at the amount of fresh fruit and veggies, i started looking at ingrediants and nutritional values of the other items that came in and yes there was the occasional item that had me saying holy cow thats alot of calories, but overall they were gettting a healthy meal with the occasional indulgent option. Dont rely on a show to teach you about your school, go down there get facts and if you dont like what you find then do something to change it :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My son buys lunch 1 time a week, other than that I enjoy packing my son's lunch! He is such a good eater, loves his fruits and veggies and they dont offer enough of that in the school lunches! So I prefer that he takes his lunch, but he likes to buy lunch too! He is in kindergarden!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• oh i am not relying on the show...our schools here havn;t caught up on the healthy stuff yet.....lol their food is horrid
    LOVE_mygirls58

Answer by LOVE_mygirls58 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• AT my daughters school they take take away food that you pack if they think it's junk. They throw it in the trash, they don't even send it home. They can control what they feed kids there but I don't think they have a right to take away stuff a parent packs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• my daughter will be going to kindergarden this fall and where we are all school lunches and breakfast is free so I will be letting her decide if she wants to eat at school or take a packed lunch.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

***************************************************************************************************************************************
    Wow that is crazy! i never heard such a thing...i would be angry if they did that....the school shouldn't have thr right..you as a parent should
    LOVE_mygirls58

Answer by LOVE_mygirls58 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My sons school sends home a monthly lunch menu,if its something good for that day, he eats there, if its not, he packs.
    I was suprised but his school actually serves decent food and good portions too.
    Before coming to this school , I was suprised to see the crap his last school fed those kids and the amounts were so small for growing children,like they would give him only one taco with meat and cheese in it and nothing else. At home, we have all kinds of veggies that go in our tacos and the kid can slam at least 5 no problem.He was always starving bu the time he got home.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:46 AM on Mar. 30, 2010