Is 18 mos. to young to dicipline?

My nephew constantly throws temper tamtrums. The parents pick him up when he does this and just walk around with him until he stops screaming. What causes the tamtrums is when someone becides his parents and grandmother talk to him. People try not to even look at him because the don't want to cause one of his episodes. If he were my kid I would tell him NO and put him in a portacrib in another room until he calms down. I would do this everytime he throws one of those fits. I would deffinitly not give him any of my attention. I think that he is extremely spoiled. His parents are constantly waving toys in his face to keep him happy, it's so annoying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not even a 6 month old is too young to start learning a little discipline and self-control.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• 18 moths is not too old to do some some little time-outs, when my girl was 18 months, small time-outs taught her to not run in the road, or climb on the table very effectively.

With tantrums...I don't think coddling a tantrum is a good idea...I don't think they need punishment either, just ignoring and not giving them what they want usually works for most parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Actually I think you should show your nephew's parents a little sympathy, this isn't normal 18 month old behavior. My DS, who is 18 months is completely into the world and exploring it. He, and all his play group buddies love getting to know people. Heck he even says Hello to strangers in the Grocery store. If your nephew is so withdrawn and voitile, it sounds liek he doesn't need discipline but help.

And no they didn't spoil him, because I most definately spoiled mine and he doesn't behave the way you described.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• 18 months is definitely not too young to discipline, i know how it is when it isnt your child, and you want to show them how to do it. Maybe print the mother out a website that explains hot to discipline the child...and say" HEY I FOUND SOMETHING YOUD BE INTERESTED IN...."
    babySTAR09

Answer by babySTAR09 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• my DD would throw fits still does sometimes, but not as bad and she sometimes bites again not as much but we talked her her docter she was 14 months at the time the doctor asked what I do for disipline? I told her that I have tried spanking, but it didn't work and I told her that I have tried sitting her in timeout on the couch, but she doesn't stay there so I normally have to sit with her and she asked if I had a playpen? I told her i did she said to put her in that in a diffrent room for however old she is. She said she was 14 months at the time about 1 minute to 1.5 minutes would work. That is a long time to them. Now she is 2 I still use the playpen and put her in timeouts she gets timeouts now for 2 minutes.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My twins are almost 13 months old and when they go somewhere they are supposed to, like near the cords beside the tv, we say the child's name in a certain tone and sometimes say 'no' and they stop. Our oven is low so they aren't allowed into the kitchen, so when they get to the threshold going into the kitchen they stop because we've called their names so much. We knew they were listening when we went to my parent's house and they touched her tile floor and stopped. 18 month old shouldn't do this...but it might also be the two's coming.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 11:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• well, his behavior doesn't sound compleatly normal, I would be a bit more concerned about the underlying reasons for his behavior instead of the parent's reaction to it... that being said, you're right, they are reinforcing his behavior, and yes, no attention would be better. Another tactic would be teaching him sign language, alot of tantrums are caused by an inability to communicate. But it's also really not your place to be giving advice unless they ask for it.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Children need to begin being disciplined around the time they start crawling. I've done this with all 3 of my children and it's worked well for us.
    Anonymous

• FuzNet,,,,,,,my nephew is diffinitley spoiled, his grandmother and parents barely put him down and he will explore as long as noone becides his parenst and grandma talk to him. His parents can't ignore his tamtrums because it's not fair to the people around him to listen to him screaming. At Christmas time his grandmother wanted a picture of her and her grandchildren and she wanted to hold him. Well he throw a fit while she was holding him, he threw himself back really hard and knocked her off the chair while she was holding him, he ended up not being in the photo with the children. I do wonder sometimes what's wrong with him, but honestly I just think that he is spoiled. I've never seen his parents or his grandmother dicipline him, they just coddle him and try to keep him busy, so that he doesn't have a fit.
    Anonymous

• I'm not expert, but I've got an 18 month old who throws tantrums and tests limits! Time outs, so far, have gone well! "They" say 1 minute per years (so, we do a about a minute, more or less). Temper Tantrums - I IGNORE him if it gets crazy. If I catch it early, I'll try to mimic his feelings (got this from Happiest Toddler on the Block). This only works if you catch it early! So far, timeouts work well for us!!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 5:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2010