Is a babysitter always necessary?

My husband and I both work from home, and therefore have never had a babysitter for our son, who is almost a year old. Our son is a very clingy baby, and we've never found it necessary; we love being with our son, and we even manage to get 'alone time' every day. Still, people look at us like we're absolutely crazy when we mention that we've never used a babysitter! So, is a babysitter always necessary? Are any of you with me on this?

MrsJacqueline

Asked by MrsJacqueline at 12:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always feel guilty when I get a sitter and that sitter is always family. I feel like they are my children and it is my job to care for them not someone elses.

That being said, we do not go to movies, or dinners or anything "normal" without the kids. If the kids can't go, then generally we don't go either.

The exception is when the whole family (my parents and all of my siblings) go out for something special like Valentine's at the vineyard. Then, my neice watches all of the kids together - which is 5 kids.

So, no, a sitter is not "necessary"
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 2:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• my DS is 4 and we JUST had our first babysitter, my 19 year old niece
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• i dont do babysitters.. im home and i tend to the kids.. honestly its cheaper that way... but once in a while i will ask my mom (grammy ) if she can take our son for the night or a few hours during the day so me and dh can have some alone time or maybe go to a movie. but dh works away from home and we dont get to see each other much only weekends. so once in a while its nice to have a few hours of adult time.
    Anonymous

• The only time Lina gets a baby sitter is on the rare occasions when my dh takes me out on a date. Other than that, there is no need for us.
    I think it really depends on your situation, what you can handle, and what makes you and your hubby happy.
    If you can do it without a babysitter, more power to you.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• i still have never had a baby siter and my son is 3 and a half and my daughter is 2 and a half, we always just have family like the grandparents, and their unlce watches them, i think until you feel comfortable with saying hey we should get a baby sitter and go out, then there is no need.
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 12:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I have 3 kids. My oldest is 3.5 years old and we've never used a babysitter.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Nope we rarely get a baby sitter. My kids do go to school and prechool but neither had a babysitter till they were atleast 2 and maybe a close friend for a few hours.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Umm, no..babysitters arent always necessary..unless you need one.
    My daughter is 13 months and I've had a babysitter twice,each time for a few hours so SO and I could go out alone,but thats it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I like the woman who had 16 children. She was asked by a reporter once how she managed to get time to herself and she replied: if I wanted time to myself, I wouldn't have had 16 kids.

We never had babysitters, and the people we knew who had the most were always the people who were already spending the least time with their kids (because of daycare and school). Our kids visited relatives, sometimes without us, stayed at friends' homes, sometimes overnight --and we'd heartily take advantage of those hours of 'freedom'... but we never engineered any. No one ever took care of our infants, and until they were over 5 they were never looked after by anyone who wasn't already a parent. The only teen babysitters we ever had was our long-time 'mother's helper' and her boyfriend, who were both 18.

I can't tell you how weird I think it is that people hire 12yos to stand in as parents when they think 15yos are too young to have kids.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My oldest son was 8 and our youngest was 3 before we eveer had a babysitter watch our children so, no it's not necessary to leave your child with someone.
    Anonymous