Constipated breastfed baby

Has anyone else gone through this??

My daughter is breastfed 95% of the time... she gets an occasional jar of food- maybe once every 2-3 days (if she gets hungry while I am in class) She is almost 7 months old.

Ever since birth, she would have a bowel movement every 7-10 days. Doc said that was fine as long as she wasn't straining. Around 4.5 months old, she started to scream in pain and strained for a few mins before passing a very hard stool with some blood- it made her tear in two spots. Since then, it has happened 3 more times.
Her last BM was 9 days ago... she strained in pain and pass yet another hard stool with some blood again- I noticed a small tear.

She has not had a BM in 9 days.... I have been giving her a prescribed stool softener but I am preparing myself to watch my daughter scream in pain since it doesn't seem to work.

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 12:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cut back on your dairy intake, it could be constipating her
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My DD went through this too. My dr put her on Miralax and my MIL had a fit and said why not give her prune juice. I decided she was right. I gave her about 5 oz of 100% pure, no sugar added prune juice once daily and we never had a problem again. The prune juice was so much better for her than taking Miralax daily.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• call the doctor, yeah dairy is bad when kids are constipated, juice helps get things moving too, my son is always getting constipated it was real bad when he was young but i just give him juive and stoole softener and if it hurts that bad maybe a lil motrin to help make em more comfortable.
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 12:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I don't eat much diary since it seems to bother her reflux. I drink plenty of water. I have been giving her a mixture of 2oz prune juice with 2 ox of water... I should try giving her straight juice.
    shannonwooten

Answer by shannonwooten at 12:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yes, she's old enough for plain old prune juice now. Also, you could buy pureed baby food prunes. Don't give Motrin as one mom suggested. Ibuprofen constipates.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Does your munchkin get vitamin or mineral supplements? Iron does this to people, and it's still routinely recommended by doctors whose most recent information about infant nutrition is 80 years out of date: breastmilk not only has sufficient iron for human babies, it's highly digestible.

Formula only has more iron in it than breastmilk because the kind of iron that babies can absorb would cost too much for them to make as much profit as they like, but somehow 'enough' has turned into 'as much as formula has' which is a problem.

If you are taking iron, it can have that kind of affect on babies: better for you to get your iron from food sources than supplements because it's the same for adults: the most aborbable forms are far too expensive to buy.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• maybe stay away from solids for awhile. Maybe her digestive system isn't handling it very well right now.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Try a 1/2 juice 1/2 water. I used both prune and apple and it worked wonders.
    Anonymous

• UPDATE- doc referred her to a gastroenterologist since they don't know why this prob is still going on and the stool softener doesn't seem to be working. They said to give her 4-5oz of straight juice and prescribed suppositories.
    shannonwooten

Answer by shannonwooten at 6:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It is not normal for breastfed babies to be constipated. Ask for a consult to see a GI doctor ASAP. If you can't get a referal take her to the ER of a children's hospital when she starts screaming.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2010