What would you think of a new legislation demanding to decrease the hours a student stays in school?

Your child would be in 8:30 am and out 1:30pm

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It would be wonderful for the children !
    Fewer hours surrounded by the madding crowd. Fewer hours subject to de-personalizing rules & teachers who can only spend a little time getting to know each student. Fewer hours under the "law-of-the-jungle" that pervades peer groups. Fewer hours needed after school and on weekends to de-tox from the pressure at school - I kid you not, I witnessed it over and over.

More hours to spend with people who KNOW them & care about them. More hours to become themselves without pressure to conform. More hours to imbibe culture & education, more hours to pursue interests, talents and skills.

The best school experience I saw was a Waldorf school which had a 4-day school week. It had been started by homeschoolers. The children were NOT toxic, the parents were NOT stressed. It was glorious. ... Then some parents pressured for 5-days, got their wish ... and the school went downhill, then closed
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• What legislation is this? You would have a lot of parents scrambling to find daycare.
    Anonymous

• Op, is this in your state?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Is this truly somehting they are considering? Last I heard about anything there was talk of extending school days. It would mean one less hour per day my kids would be in school. If that were to happen then I would do what i do in the summer months, encourage reading, spending time at the library, getting involved in arts.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• In Miami they are talking about making it a four day week.

Answer by older at 1:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Last I heard about anything there was talk of extending school days

Ohio's Dipsh*t Governor wanted to do this.. Failing to see that EXTENDING the day would put some kids, in rural areas" on the bus till 5:30-7:00pm in some areas...  What a moron.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• State House backs 4-day school week
    Proponents say option could help struggling school districts
    March 22, 2010|By Michelle Manchir, Tribune reporter

SPRINGFIELD — — In an effort to help strapped school districts save money, the House on Monday approved a bill that would let local school boards set four-day weeks for students.

Students would still be required to go to school the same number of hours every year. That could mean longer school days or shorter summer vacations.

The bill passed the House on an 81-21 vote and goes to the Senate for consideration.
    Anonymous

• I would prefer the 4 day week.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 1:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Just what American children need. More cuts to their education.. It's going to be hard enough for students of today to compete in a global market for jobs 10 years from now. Keep cutting education, and we as a nation will continue to be stagnent with no progress and a piss poor economic situation..
    Anonymous

• Just what American children need. More cuts to their education..

Just makes private schools and homeschooling all the more appealing!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2010