Ideas for a December Sweet 16 Party?

My in-laws don't do birthday parties. My SIL had 1 birthday party that her aunt did and my in-laws told her she spent her 1 birthday party. Well, she will be 16 this December and all her friends are having sweet 16 parties and she really wants one. I think she deserves one so I want to have one for her.

I plan on making the cake. Her fave colors are Burgundy, Black, Silver and Gold. She doesn't want a huge, elegant party; she just wants to have fun with some friends. My birthday is in the summer so my 16th was outdoors and we played a game using golf carts and atvs but her birthday is in December so doing anything outdoors is out of the question.

Any ideas, tips, etc would be great...I know we have a lot of time but I don't want to wait till last minute, especially since we need to find a place to have the party (my house is too small). TIA.

mcquistionmom2

Asked by mcquistionmom2 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Why not do a winter sports outdoor party? Skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiles, sleds... no?

My sister did her 16th at McDonald's -they had a blast, did all the 'games' and even 'played' on the equipment with special permission from the manager (they promised to be nice to the little kids, and to be reasonably sensible). She was working there at the time, and really wanted her friend the other hostess to do the party...

My eldest did a 'room reno' party -- they painted the whole room and then made their own pizzas, then when the paint was dry moved the furniture and decor back in so she had a 'grown up girl' room instead of her 'little girl' room.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• The outdoor winter sports idea is cool...definitely her style (she loves to ski)...but would I have to cover lift fees for everyone? or would I ask that parents cover the lift fee for their kid?

I like the room reno idea but my in-laws don't like a bunch of people at their house, plus while my SIL was in Iowa visiting her grandparents 2 summers ago my in-laws went in and re-did her whole room and SIL loves it.

My SIL is definitely different then most girls her age...she has Asperger's Syndrome and so she is very into a couple certain things (Harry Potter, Star Trek - knows pretty much EVERYTHING about star trek) and she has "guy friends" but no interest in a boyfriend. Very ECCENTRIC young lady.
    mcquistionmom2

Answer by mcquistionmom2 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• lol. how about an luau? It could be really fun in December to have leis, pina coladas(virgin of course) and pineapple and ham pizza. Island music and dancing. The limbo! Maybe it's to silly for 16 but I think it would be fun.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• indoor water park--have a party at pizza hut--ice skating--sledding--snow ball fights--make a week end out of it---find a bedand breakfast near a water park [in door] hope this helps
    barb09

Answer by barb09 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Do you have a local YMCA? You can rent out the whole pool for a night for reasonably cheap and they might like that?
    Anonymous