Getting crap for 21 month old son being in diapers!

A couple of people I work with gave me a dirty look because my son isn't potty trained yet. I'm really trying but he's not catching on like I had hoped. They told me I should spank him when he goes in his diaper and that will make him quit. I really don't agree with that. After this pack of diapers, I'm trying pull ups so that I can train him easier. What should I do?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's not even 2? Don't worry about what other people tell you about it. He's fine. If he's still pooping in diapers at the age of 5, then there may be cause for concern.
    Children master the potty at all different ages. Just follow your sons cues and do what you feel is right for him.
    I don't agree with spanking for not going in the potty, especially during training.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• are you serious?!?!?! My son is 21 months and is not ready yet. Every child is different and its important to start when they are ready!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My DD is 3 and a half and used pull ups like diapers until her 3rd birthday. She does great with peeing in the potty now, but still won't poop in it. My son will be 2 next month and hasn't started potty training yet. My pediatrician says to wait until they are ready that you cannot make a toddler use the potty you just have to be patient and wait until they want to.

Spanking a toddler for using a diaper is abuse in my opinion.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• My first was 3 when we potty trained, if you push him before he's ready it's just going to cause a LOT of frustration for both of you. Screw them. If they BEAT their child into using the potty they are horrible people. You will know when your child is ready, in the meantime just let him enjoy being a baby.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• dont even worry. my friends kid is 4 and she has a baby on the way. he's still not day time potty trained. its weird she'll be changing a kindergärtner's diaper and a newborn...lol dont feel bad about 21months
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• WOW! That is ridiculous! Don't push it if he isn't ready. Do it when you both are rdy and screw what they say! I had people giving me crap b/c I was potty training my son (but due to medical issues we had to stop) at a yound age! Do what YOU need to do, not what others tell you.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• spank him?? for what NO don't spank him.. I know 3 kids that are 3 one is mine & not trained yet.. no matter how old he is thats not something to spank for.. when your at home put him in underwear if he has an accident don't punish him just tell him you need to try to go potty in the toilet.. & when he does make a big deal over it stickers, hugs, high fives etc.. every kid is different
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Wait until he turns 3. It will take 2 days.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Wait till he's 4 and he'll have already done it without any 'help.'

Taking advice requires you to agree with your advisor... you know, like respecting them and holding their intelligence and knowledge in high esteem. Do you think these folks, with the violent tendencies and humiliating tactics, are respectable? Isn't that advice a little "Sybil"? 'Sybil' --the child who was tortured into splintering into 18? different personalities?

How is spanking a child going to give him the muscle control or awareness of 'fullness' that is necessary for him to control his eliminations? What a completely weird idea...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Step one, ignore these oh so nosy people. You'll feel better.. :)
    My son will be 3 next week and we've been using pullups for a couple of months now. Some doctors advise parents to wait until 3 to train boys. When your child starts to show readiness signs, pullups help as they get use to the idea. The downside is that the child won't really feel being wet so for some kids it delays training. I was advised to put on regular underwear then put a pullup over it. that way the chidl feels wet but without the messy cleanup.. As luck would have it, my son couldn't care less about being wet so training has been a challenge.. Despite previous poster's statement, not all kids train quickly regardless of age.. We started by putting him on the potty once at day (bathtime), then twice, etc. As he got the idea, we put him on regularly.. We're still working on it...
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2010