Hate when childless relatives tell me how to discipline.

Last night at a family dinner at my in-laws, we put my daughter in her crib to sleep. She screamed for 30 mins. and was clearly not tired, so we took her out. She is not used to the crib mind you, so I'm sure she was afraid of being in the strange room at night alone. Well, both of my BIL's with no kids made snippy comments like 'if I cry I get whatever I want.' And "I guess she won.' IT drives me crazy. Neither have kids or have any idea what it's even like to discipline a 1 year old! Does this happen to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all, it sounds like they were just pulling your chain. It doesn't sound like they were trying to reprimand your choice for taking her out of her crib. Second of all, of course it happens to everyone. There is always someone with or without children who think they know best. Everyone has an opinion and people are bound to share their views with you. Just as they would blindly on this forum, someone will to your face. You just have to ignore their comments, or if you have the balls, you can make a comment back. "I made a choice to try and put her to sleep, but now seeing that she isn't tired I took her out." You have the right to stand up for yourself and make it known that though they might not agree it's your call in the end.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Wow, you know some super classy people, eh?

'Won'??!?! OMG! A one-year old is in a competition with an ADULT?!?!

One of the great joys of my life has come from recognizing that the vile and immature garbage that spills from others' mouths is a direct result of the vile immature garbage that lives in their heads --lucky them. Since I don't have to suffer from that affliction 100% of my day, I'm happy to absorb some of it (before going creatively deaf in front of it) without ever needing to agree with it enough to argue about it. I just put it into the same category as 'you're a hamburger' and 'you're a poo-head': the uncreative, incapable 'insults' of a 3yo who has no idea about the big, wide world.

So, to respond to them with 'hmmm.....?' or 'oh' with your eyes glazed over like they've just said 'your hair is purple and yellow polka dots' is so much more fun, 'cause you know they're jonesing for a fight... don't bother.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I hate....yes HATE anyone who has any criticism of another parent - ESPECIALLY those who don't have any children of their own. It gets on my nerves so bad, I AM overly sensitive to it, and it makes me never want to be around those people ever again! I had my 1st child when I was 16, kicked out of my parent's house, and struggled and sacrificed beyond what many parent's have to struggle and sacrifice, so to be criticized in any way makes me want to stab them. hahaha :)

But my response to them would be, "I curse you with three daughters!!!!!!!!!!!!" And just wait - because honestly, those people alwayyyyssss get the most challenging kids. It's what they deserve.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• LOL. That's like when my non-diabetic relatives try to give me advice on how to manage my Type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent) daughter, or even better they give me advice that a Type 2 (a diabetic who actually HAS a functioning pancreas) would do! Of course before diabetes entered our lives, the argument was always how I raised my kids, and my relatives without children always had the snippiest, most shallow remarks. Be like a duck - let it roll off your wings like water. Know that they are ignorant fools. Obviously not blessed like you are. They may get raises, awards, and all kinds of professional recognition, but you get KISSES, HUGS, and doodled crayon drawings! Priceless.
    cz4kids

Answer by cz4kids at 2:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2010