Any advice for dog separation anxiety?

We just moved into an apartment, and now my dog freaks out when we leave. She barks and whines like crazy. Does anyone have any tips for helping? I feel so bad for her.

lvpenguino

Asked by lvpenguino at 1:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Pets

• Get her a friend? Dogs are naturally pack animals (unlike cats) and are made anxious when alone just by being alone.

Doggy daycare would help.

The book 'Don't Shoot the Dog' has some excellent animal training advice, and some of it is specifically about barking and whining in dogs... maybe take a look for how to calm her fears?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• You could crate her to keep her from being distructive, if she is. If not, then I'd suggest going to the vet and getting some doggie mental health drugs. They can give you something for her anxiety. It won't be cheap so be prepared.
    momoftwins240

Answer by momoftwins240 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I have had two dogs with seperation anxiety and getting them a friend won't make a differance. You need to work with the dog to desensitive her. Change your routine, she is probably getting anxious as soon as she shee you picking up your keys, purse and coat to leave. Do not make a big deal about leaving or coming home. Don't tell her good-bye or great her as soon as you come home. This will help keep the excitement to a minimum. If you want to use a crate I have found that the closed crated help them feel more secure. One of my dogs chewed her way out of the metal open crates but never tired with the closed crates. You might try using a comfort zone plug in that might help ease some of her anxiety. It is very important that you work with her now because the older she gets the worse it will get. But it is possible to do.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Thanks for all the advice. We have two dogs, but only the female has the SA. I ordered the DAP plug-in, so I'm hoping that works, and I read some advice that is pretty much exactly what you said, KyliesMom, so I'll be starting to change things up ASAP. I don't want to medicate her - that doesn't seem like the first or best solution.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Medication has it's place but it is not the first thing you should jump to. My golden retriever had seperation anxiety and i had worked with her to the point where she was better. We were in a car accident though, someone ran a stop sign and slamming to the passenger side of my car which is the side that my dog was on. She got really bad after that with her seperation anxiety so I ended up having to put her on medication about 5 months. But I continued to work with her and managed to get her back to where she was before the accidnet.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Maybe you have a friend that wouldn't mind baby sitting her while you're gone?
    BunnySlave

Answer by BunnySlave at 8:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• SOME PUPPY TOYS, AND BIG HELP WOULD BE FOR PUPPY AND YOU, BEFORE YOU GO TAKE PUPPY OUT FOR LONGER WALKES, WORK THAT PUPPYS LEGS AND THEY WILL WANT TO SLEEP ALL DAY, AS YOUR OUT AND IT'S GOOD FOR YOU TOO lol : ) and fun. soon the puppy will know what time it is and know mommy and daddy will be back soon. have fun, pets ROCK ! ; )

sexeykittycalie

Answer by sexeykittycalie at 3:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010