16 yr old dating a 21 yr old.... is it okay?

Would you let your 16 yr old daughter date a 21 yr old man? Why or why not.
Would you let your 16 yr old son date a 21 yr old woman? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Not only is it wrong, it is illegal! If my son brought home a 21-year-old woman I would have her arrested....if I HAD a daughter and she brought home a 21-year-old man I would shot him. How's that for a double standard?
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Would you let your 16 yr old daughter date a 21 yr old man? Why or why not.
    No because she should be spending time with peers her own age.

No for the same reason above.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 1:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I would rather give them permission and be open and honest about it than have them sneaking around behind my back.

Join Group Infamous

gwebkeijmmm

Answer by gwebkeijmmm at 1:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• No for both.

I can not predict the future but at 16 they are still a child-there is too much for them to see, and learn on there own. What would a 21 year old want to do with a 16 year old kid.

Just my opinion. I hope I never have to face that. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• HELL NO.
    Because at 16...still a kid
    At 21...an adult.
    Just no.no.no. LOL...I am obviously so very closed minded on this idea,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I can't be one to throw stones, my DH is 8 years older than me
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• At 16, in Canada at least, the child has reached 'the age of consent.' Meaning, at that point on they are legally entitled to say 'yes' to anyone also over the age of consent. Since that's their legal right, far be it from me to suggest they do otherwise. It would be like telling someone else how to vote.

From 14 until the age of consent, they are only legally allowed to consent to activities with someone under 19. Under 14, no one can legally give consent to anyone else, so it is always statuatory rape --even if they're both 12. It's illegal, I think for several very good reasons. It's rarely enforced except when an adult is involved.

Since it's not my right to 'let' my children do that, I would keep my mouth shut about it. Another in a long list of examples of 'you are parent, not dictator', I'm thinkin'... None of my business, frankly.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• First of all .. That's Statitory Rape if they do anything sexual, even just kiss. That means Jail time, if not prison time depending on the judge, if someone reports him. Second of all .. That's disgusting. I understand that it's only a couple years difference, but they're in two completely different stages of their lives. She is a child. She's just barely in high school and shouldn't be dating kids older then 17. When the kid is under 18 age DOES matter.

Yes, kids make their own choices and sometimes make the wrong ones. However, I will do everything in my power to let my kids understand that, that is not only illegal but morally it isn't right.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

There are always exceptions. At what age did you start dating him? just curious. thanks
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 1:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I was 20, he was 28
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2010