What would you do if your landlord told you that you were not supervising your toddler?

I called have the property management to ask them to fix several broken kitchen drawers in the 6 months that we have been living in the apartment . They are very old and flimsy and they fall apart easily. Finally they told us they were no longer going to cover the cost of repairing them for us because they had falllen apart so many times. When the last one broke I didn't call them right away but then I saw the nails that were sticking out of the part of the drawer that was remainining in its spot (the front had popped off and the rest stayed basically). I couldn't get it out becuase its in there to good so I finally called them and asked them to at least help me pull the rest of the drawer out so my son doesn't get stuck with the nails. And they told me that I wasn't supervising him and that he was pulling on the front of the drawers. I don't even know how to respond to that. It isn't true, he is very well watched.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• How rude and ignorant. It is thier responsibility to maintain the property whether they like it or not. If they don't fix it, I would call a the owners of the building or report them to the housing authority.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• It is just an excuse. He's the landlord and it is his duty to fix them. That is what your job entails when you rent to people, if he doesn't like it, he should do a different job.
    Anonymous

• Look up rental laws in your area and report him.
    skribe

Answer by skribe at 2:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• First off that is NOT normal wear and tear and the landlord does NOT have any legal obligation in most states to fix it when it happens that many times. I do think it was rude of the landlord to place the blame on an unsupervised toddler though.
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon :19. If it isn't your son, then he has very cheaply put together crap in his buildings. Maybe you should check with neighbors if any of their furniture is falling apart on them.

Also, I would suggest buying a tool box....maybe try to at least pulling the nails out yourself. That way you know your son isn't in harms way. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• If there is a Tenants' Rights office, contact them; your local city hall should be able to point you in the right direction.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2010