why do so many people look at me strange when i tell them i am going to make my daughter earn things that she wants when she gets older, instead of just giving her everyhting she wants?

lila4909

Asked by lila4909 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh my, I get the same thing too!!! I was spoiled rotten as a child and I refuse to raise my kids that way. I tell people all the time to please not send him loads and loads of gifts and people think we are crazy when we only get him a couple presents for holidays. (By the way he is just turning two) Not only does he not need a ton of gifts but at the age he is at I don't see the point in showering him with gifts becasue he's not even old enough to appreciate them. Just keep doing what you are doing and try to ignore the criticism.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Why do you share your family stuff with others.
    you are teaching responsibility to your daughter, and nothing wrong with that. if they get easy stuff, theyll never work hard for any thing also.
    Anonymous

• Because we are a spoiled nation. That is why so many people are so far in debt they may never get out.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I don't know why people would do that. I wouldn't look at you strange, I would think that is pretty much a normal thing to do.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Because so many parents these days are completely spinless with their kids. That's why most of them have such bad attitudes, are lazy, and exhibit horrible disrespectful behavior toward anyone in authority, not just their parents.

Seems like parent are more into trying to be their kids friends these days, than actually doing the hard work it takes to be their parent.
    momoftwins240

Answer by momoftwins240 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• GOOD FOR YOU....thats all i can say...there is nothing worse than a spoiled brat. i can't stand seeing parents who don't discipline their kids and reward bad behavior....you're teaching your child a great life lesson and she'll be a better person for it
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Because many people find deep joy in being generous with their kids.

Does she get to negotiate the price, or will that be a one-way-street?

I not only gave my kids everything I could that they wanted, I also refused to 'make' them share. Strangely, I have two of the most gentle, generous and self-sufficient young adult women I've ever met. It's probably unrelated to them witnessing and experiencing generosity, gentleness and self-sufficiency...

But, we live in a culture of people raised thinking they have to 'earn' everything who are, as it has been noted by others, the most greedy, selfish people with the biggest sense of personal entitlement in the history of the world. Obviously, we're doing something right as a society. ; /
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Beats me. I've been doing this with my kids for years. It's win, win. It teaches them money needs to be earned and gives them the freedom to spend it on what they want, when they want it. Some people think children should be given chores without being paid for them, that it's their duty to do chores. Maybe that's it.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Now days parents dont teach there children morals or how to actually earn something so thats why people look at you that way, its really them that people should be questioning because there not teaching there children anything by giving and giving constantly. My whole life my mother just gave to us, we never had to get a job after school never had to work for anything we got she just bought us everything and if you only knew how my siblings turned out then that will tell you why I chose to be different then my mother. Plus I have a very strong husband who believes in having your children work for what they want and not just lay around the house all day and do nothing. Hes actually tought me a thing or two.
    Anonymous

• Ignore them. Imagine the looks I get when I tell people my kids will leave my house with the belongings they brought into it. I will not pay for college, a car, or a cell phone. My kids earn what they have now and they are 13 m, 4, 5, 6, 8. Of course my 13 m old doesn't earn her things yet but, its coming. I give them what they have to have. They are respectful and don't expect everything they see.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2010