Anyone get funny looks from other moms because you are MUCH younger than they are?

Had a birthday party for my 5 year old and most of the moms I'd never met before were mistaking my mother as the parent. They looked at me funny because I'm 24 and they are like 40. I felt like smacking them. They all seemed to shut up when they saw the crafty stuff I did for the party but still..

skribe

Asked by skribe at 2:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yup! I am younger since I was a teen mom! But damn it, get over it! My son is now 5 and I am 21! I am a good mom, and I have done the right thing, Graduated, and now in college! Im so sick of them thinking they are better than me!!!! I love my son and he is not at any disadvantage just because I am young!!!!
    Anonymous

• I think other moms look at ME funny because I'm OLDER than them. LMAO.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Actually I dont get weird looks anymore, I did when my oldest was a newborn, I looked much younger than i was (21 at the tiome) and many times they thought my mom was the mom or they would talk to her instead of me. Once i was back at work a few months later it stopped because i was normally in my work clothes (business suits) when going to the doctor or daycare.

I personally dont think much of it, I know I am going to deal with moms of all ages both younger and older. I am now 33 and have a 5 y/o so I probably wouldnt have thought much of it, unless you looked like you were 16 then i might have done a double take but thats about it.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I get weird looks sometimes...or my son's friends asking if I am his mom or his sister though I do not think I look that young, my son is 14 and I am 31. It won't be like that for the baby though..when he's 14 I will be 45 :)
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I get funny looks from other people for all kinds of reasons, I never stop to consider why.

I had my kids in my early 20s, so now that my sister who is 4 years younger has a 5yo and is due this summer, it's bordering on the comical. My eldest is absolutely old enough to be this one's mom, and could (along with a lot of kids we've known) have been the older one's mom without difficulty.

I've known moms of newborns who were excellent at 16, and moms who were useless at 41. I don't see age having much to do with anything, really.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Yea i will have two under two before my 22nd birthday!! lol...hands ful but my son looks like i spit him out now so theres no way people would mistake my mom for his!! They just kinda give me the "havent you figured out how that happened look" when they see me with him and so very pregnant!! But my life..im happy..ill be young enough to enjoy them i guess...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I have older kids & younger kids...one time I was with my oldest son (he's 19) at a doctor's office & we had my youngest with us (she was 2 at the time) & this lady thought that I was his wife & she was our kid! He just looked at her funny & said "Ummmm, no that's my mom & my little sister". I think she probably wanted to crawl under her chair at that point.
    Anonymous

• I get funny looks because I am older than the other moms.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Sometimes, I'm 26 and my son is 6. When I pick him up from school some of the other moms shoot funny looks my way.
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 8:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I used too when my son was born I was 19...now I get the opposite, My sons are 3 and 4 and I am 43..I had "late in life babies" so now I am the mom who looks older than everyone else, and I look like I am dating my 24 yr old. Funny!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:18 AM on Apr. 1, 2010