Paul Krugman says death panels will save money? HMMM

http://www.thefoxnation.com/paul-krugman/2010/03/30/krugman-death-panels-will-save-us-money

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Apparently you didn't get that he was mocking Obama's healthcare reform...
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• apparently you don't get that mocking Obamacare is the last thing Krugman would do.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• doesn't look much like mocking to me. More like planning.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Of course bureaucrats deciding on what medical procedures will be allowed under gov't payments would save money.

Most systems are successful at what they are designed to do. If you set up a medical care system with the goal of better health for each individual, then you will have completely DIFFERENT relationships and regulations in place than if you set up a medical care system with the goal of SAVING MONEY. ... duh !

What is very chilling is that ANYONE can even entertain the idea that medical treatment is about saving money rather than being about individuals' LIVES !! Many people have been gradually brainwashed to accept that COST is actually a determinative factor.

The cost of my doctor bills only becomes the business of strangers when gov't programs invade the scene. THAT'S the fundamental poison of gov't health"care".

Remove gov't regulation and the costs will go down. The current bill can only raise costs.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• I'm not an expert, but I have seen interviews OF experts. This is what has made sense to me:
    Remove gov't regulations which prevent me from buying health coverage from a company in another state, and I will have more options to choose from ... and insurance companies can sell their policies to a broader base of customers ... and some insurance companies will no longer have a monopoly over citizens in certain states, so they will have to offer lower-cost policies in order to attract customers ... AND what's more is that they will be ABLE to offer lower prices BECAUSE they can cover their costs with a larger number of customers, so they won't go bankrupt from offering lower premiums. ... Isn't it neat how functional free capitalism is?

Plus, remove the gov't requirements on insurance companies that they MUST include this or that, and I can select a cheaper policy. I don't need insurance against prostate cancer or (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• (cont'd) ... I don't need insurance against prostate cancer, nor against complications of pregnancy, etc., so I could select a policy which does NOT promise to pay for those things, and my premium would be lower.

Oh, and doctors' & hospital bills could be lower if malpractice lawsuits had to stay within reasonable limits (this is called tort reform)

Also, let's get rid of the gov't regulation binding my health coverage to my job. Right now I am not taxed for the part of my wages which my employer pays to health coverage. Let me pay for it MYSELF and still not be taxed on that money.

Let me pay the doctor MYSELF for my medical treatments, and I can decide FOR MYSELF whether I want the extra tests. The doctor isn't FORCED to run extra tests to cover his bases, because HE AND I will decide between us.

So the prices AND the number of procedures decrease - health care costs can go down by using capitalism and liberty.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Gee, Waldorf, you explain it all so clearly! I would think that the Left as well as those in the WH would be able to understand what you have put so simply! Therefore, since it is so very clear how to keep costs down, I feel, no, I KNOW there is an ulterior motive to what they have done -- namely, CONTROL! Control of our money, our health, and our very lives. And yet, they wonder why we don't want it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Why else would they not want it for themselves? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

confused

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Right on waldorfmom! Then you tend to usually be right on the spot.There is nothing like clear common sense.

Now look at the mess we are in!

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2010